Advertisement

Screen goes black after starting x (just set driver to "nvidia" in xorg)

Started by July 19, 2004 05:39 PM
20 comments, last by clum 20 years, 1 month ago
Be certain you don't have the register parameter passing option enabled in oyur kernel.
be certain as in make sure its disabled?
I eat heart attacks
Advertisement
yes :)
what about framebuffer?
I eat heart attacks
I had this problem. I sort of got it working at one point (by getting the latest nvidia drivers), but I was having other weird problems with the 2.6.7 driver so I reverted back to 2.6.5. I'm waiting until at least 2.6.9 until I try a newer version of the kernel.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Quote: Original post by Cipher3D
oh..so nobody's been able to get nvidia working on 2.6.7? huh...interesting.

i'll keep hunting..it seems like nobody's gotten it working yet.

The nvidia drivers work here on kernel 2.6.7, I have know idea which driver version, but it's fairly recent.
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Advertisement
oh crap...i recompiled a new kernel, but now when i boot my computer, nothing shows up on my screen...although when I type in root then my password, then startx KDE starts up...

which options in the kernel config allow for the console to show up??

crap...
I eat heart attacks
In case it wasn't answered:
Quote: Edit: Also, does the fact that Slackware 10 uses X.org instead of XFree86 have anything to do with it? Because all nVidia driver installation tutorials talk about XFree86...
No, the nvidia driver readme explains how to install using X.org (basically the same) If yours doesn't, you must have an old driver.
--monkey
Quote: Original post by Cipher3D
oh crap...i recompiled a new kernel, but now when i boot my computer, nothing shows up on my screen...although when I type in root then my password, then startx KDE starts up...

which options in the kernel config allow for the console to show up??

crap...

edit the grub.conf, and put vga=scan at the end of the kernel= line.

I've had a lot of difficulty with the framebuffer and booting in a graphics mode with any driver except the vesa one.

PS The nvidia-kernel and nvidia-glx packages are specific to the Gentoo distribution
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
ahaha...i think i know why 2.6.7 wouldn't start up...i think i accidentally disabled RAM disk support...

does anybody have the problem of rushing through xconfig because there's so many options? I simply don't have the patience to figure out what each and every single config option is, so i just check, uncheck my way through, and I'm paying for it

EDIT: Thank God for backup kernel...
I eat heart attacks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement