Advertisement

forgot how to configure the kernel

Started by July 10, 2004 02:32 PM
3 comments, last by Drevay 20 years, 2 months ago
I remember there was a nice GUI tool for configuring the kernel in Red-Hat ( configuring as in, telling which modules to load and which modules to ignore ...). But there doesn't seem to be any such tool in Mandrake 9.2. How do i configure my kernel in Mandrake 9.2.. i am sure there must be some text (.conf) file somewhere... someone plz help
Z
The short answer:

- first su to root and:

$ cd /usr/src/linux

-then for xwindows:

$ make xconfig

-or for console/curses:

$ make menuconfig

However, you will need to make sure that you compile in everything that you need. If you installed a binary kernel initially, chances are you will need to go through all the options the first time. Also make SURE you back up your old kernel first, and installation of the kernel will vary if you are using grub or lilo, or if you are using 2.4 or 2.6 kernels.

IOW, spend some time with google before you recompile, or could really screw things up :)

HTH
Advertisement
Then you'll have to make clean and make dep and make modules and blah blah blah.

Read a tutorial on it for whatever Linux distro you have, it's different for different flavours.

Don't forgot to move the source and make a link.

Again, read a tutorial, and if you can't find one, consult #linux on Freenode.
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.
Quote: Original post by Drevay
Then you'll have to make clean and make dep and make modules and blah blah blah.

Read a tutorial on it for whatever Linux distro you have, it's different for different flavours.

In the stock 2.6 series everything is much nicer than previously:

download source, extract to /usr/src/linux-2.6.x
cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.6.x linux
cd linux

then for kde, make xconfig
for gtk/gnome, make gconfig
for console, make menuconfig

then:

make
make modules
make install (or if you know what this step does you can do it manually)

make modules_install

reboot and enjoy!
Quote: Original post by etothex
Quote: Original post by Drevay

In the stock 2.6 series everything is much nicer than previously:

download source, extract to /usr/src/linux-2.6.x
cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.6.x linux
cd linux

then for kde, make xconfig
for gtk/gnome, make gconfig
for console, make menuconfig

then:

make
make modules
make install (or if you know what this step does you can do it manually)

make modules_install

reboot and enjoy!

You forgot to mention that backing up your kernel in case of a screw up is a VERY good idea. Yes indeedy do.

That'll require some TLC with LILO or Grub (depending on which you have), but nothing big.

A backup is a must, helped me out of a mess on my first go at rolling my own. [smile]
_________________Politics is the ability to foretell what is going to happen tomorrow, next week, next month and next year. And to have the ability afterwards to explain why it didn't happen. -- Winston ChurchillGDNet-0.2 - rate users the easy way with this nifty Firefox extension. Updated with new features.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement