Advertisement

mounting ntfs in read-write mode

Started by July 07, 2004 08:52 AM
1 comment, last by Fruny 20 years, 2 months ago
how do i mount ntfs volume in write-read mode in my mandrake-9.2 ( kernel-2.4.35) ? by the way, i recompiled the kernel with "writing to ntfs" enabled altho it says "dangerous." But even if i mount the system in read-write mode (rw) i can't create any new file/folder in my ntfs volume.....
Z
You really shouldn't be doing it this way. Do you really want to risk corrupting your entire NTFS partition? You'd be much better off accessing a linux partion from your Windows boot. Look on google for info, I don't remember the program's name off the top of my head.
Advertisement
Linux NTFS write support is very limited, since nobody but MS employees really knows how it works. While it enables you to do in-place modifications of existing files, you cannot create new files (or directories), nor actually cause a file's size to change (because, I assume, the developpers have yet to figure out in where they can write that new data to).
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement