Advertisement

Suse 9.1

Started by June 22, 2004 11:06 PM
5 comments, last by __tunjin__ 20 years, 3 months ago
Is there a difference between Suse 9.1 Personal, and what you get off the FTP, i.e., if you follow these instructions? Suse looks nice and I would like to try it out, but I heard someone say that Suse 9.1 Personal doesn't come with development tools, and being a programmer, I kind of like having them :) I know I can get GCC and whatever else after installation if they aren't installed along with the OS, but I'm just curious what the situation is.
I don't think the ftp version contains the full contents of SuSE personal. For one thing, SuSE 9.1 Personal comes on 2 installation CDs, and the size of that ftp version looks like 96 MB. [edit: nevermind, misread the page]

SuSE Personal does come with dev tools. You can take a look at the package listing online.
Advertisement
Okay, it does come with some development stuff, but C/C++ development stuff? I don't see GCC listed there.

Do we know if the FTP version is the same as the Personal version? I'm not sure what's going on. You can either do the FTP install, or you can download an (apparently) stripped down Personal version in ISO form. I'm not sure if they're different from each other, but it sounds like both are stripped down compared to the Personal version.

I used to think most linux distros took the approach of, "here, it's free, and you can also purchase it if you want support." Suse seems more like, "here, you can have a toy version for free, but if you actually plan on using it you better buy it." At least that's the impression I'm getting the more I read their website.

Mandrake looks more and more appealing when I look at the "new" Redhat and Suse and all of the other distros who are trying to be more professional looking. Mandrake is easy to use, and it comes with everything. Suse just looks pretty as far as I can tell.
Quote: Original post by Russell
Okay, it does come with some development stuff, but C/C++ development stuff? I don't see GCC listed there.

Do we know if the FTP version is the same as the Personal version? I'm not sure what's going on. You can either do the FTP install, or you can download an (apparently) stripped down Personal version in ISO form. I'm not sure if they're different from each other, but it sounds like both are stripped down compared to the Personal version.

I used to think most linux distros took the approach of, "here, it's free, and you can also purchase it if you want support." Suse seems more like, "here, you can have a toy version for free, but if you actually plan on using it you better buy it." At least that's the impression I'm getting the more I read their website.

Mandrake looks more and more appealing when I look at the "new" Redhat and Suse and all of the other distros who are trying to be more professional looking. Mandrake is easy to use, and it comes with everything. Suse just looks pretty as far as I can tell.

well it looks like you need to go back to their website and read some more cuz you can download the fully functional pro version that includes development tools,nfs,samba,webserver,etc or the personal version that doesn't include the above!
The only thing extra you get when you purchase a box set of suse like I have is the whole thing on dvd or cd so you don't have to download the whole thing everytime via ftp and some extra commercial apps that they throw on there not to mention you are entitled to technical support.
SUSE LINUX Download

SUSE offers the possibility to install SUSE LINUX free of charge directly from the FTP server. The function scope of FTP versions is virtually the same as that of the "normal" version. Merely a few program packages have been excluded due to license reasons. The installation support is not included either.
If you asking if suse 9.1 pro iso available then the answer is NO!
Then again if you want that comfort have a look at this and ask yourself if your getting your money's worth?
And if your that cheap you can get the cheaper upgrade version that only differs from full version in the fact that it doesn't come with printed manuals in box.

[Edited by - daveangel on June 23, 2004 12:43:04 AM]
If God played dice, He'd win.—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos
I know that all (or almost all) of the non comercial packages for SuSE are available over FTP. I run a SuSE 8.1 system that's been incrementally upgraded this way.

edit: beaten to it.
Quote: Original post by daveangel
...you can download the fully functional pro version that includes development tools,nfs,samba,webserver,etc...
...If you asking if suse 9.1 pro iso available then the answer is NO!
I'm confused. You say I can get the pro version minus some commercial programs for free, and then you say 9.1 pro is not available.
Advertisement
You can get 9.1 Personal ISO files - i.e. install from cd's, but for 9.1 Pro you only get an ftp-directory full of packages. Some people find an ftp install to be more difficult, but you can save a lot of bandwidth because no one wants to do a full install of the 5 (?) cd's from the pro pack...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement