Advertisement

2.4.x & 2.6.x FPU exploit bug fixed in 2.6.7

Started by June 16, 2004 06:55 AM
10 comments, last by C-Junkie 20 years, 3 months ago
FYI: The latest fpu linux kernel bug documented here that could crash your kernel with ~20 lines of code, without even being root, has been fixed. Tried it: works fine.
Wow! I didn't understand a word of that code. However, I wont bother to install that patch. Its not like I use too much software which isn't purposely used and no-one else uses linux on this machine.
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Advertisement
Umm... Whenever an exploit that big occurs, it's usually advisable to get the patch, regardless of whether it's supposed to affect you or not. Who knows, maybe there's other ways it can affect you that we aren't aware of yet?
Quote: Original post by Strife

Umm... Whenever an exploit that big occurs, it's usually advisable to get the patch, regardless of whether it's supposed to affect you or not. Who knows, maybe there's other ways it can affect you that we aren't aware of yet?
Not without the ability to execute arbitrary code on your machine.

And if somebody has that, they can do enough damage. root access (which this flaw will give you, once you have arbitrary access) or no root access (which you need before this can be exploited)

My system is still unpatched, but only because I haven't had the time to do the upgrade yet.

besides, if they already have normal user access, if you're using sudo, then it's trivial to get root anyway.
I still say you should NEVER say "Oh, it doesn't affect me." Better safe than sorry. It doesn't take too long to compile a new kernel, anyway. Just use your old config file and remake the new one.
Quote: Original post by Strife

I still say you should NEVER say "Oh, it doesn't affect me."

"Oh, it won't affect me," is closer to what you should never say.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by C-Junkie
Not without the ability to execute arbitrary code on your machine.

And if somebody has that, they can do enough damage. root access (which this flaw will give you, once you have arbitrary access) or no root access (which you need before this can be exploited)

My system is still unpatched, but only because I haven't had the time to do the upgrade yet.

besides, if they already have normal user access, if you're using sudo, then it's trivial to get root anyway.

You don't need root access. Since the bug is in the fp exception kernel code, which doesn't care what access you have, any user account will do.

And I highly advise patching...because all you're doing is giving another hole to hackers. Say, for example, tomorrow someone launches an attack on an unknown buffer overflow vulnerability in apache, executing the above code. Then anyone running apache on linux is vulnerable, while the damage would be less if most people patched the original bug forcing the attacker to use something else for widespread damage.
Quote: Original post by etothex
And I highly advise patching...because all you're doing is giving another hole to hackers. Say, for example, tomorrow someone launches an attack on an unknown buffer overflow vulnerability in apache, executing the above code. Then anyone running apache on linux is vulnerable, while the damage would be less if most people patched the original bug forcing the attacker to use something else for widespread damage.

But it's basically 'just' a DoS exploit, not much potential for privelege escalation. Still, if one has the ability to easily patch their kernel or update it, why not?
Quote: Original post by Null and Void

But it's basically 'just' a DoS exploit, not much potential for privelege escalation. Still, if one has the ability to easily patch their kernel or update it, why not?

DoS is pretty popular these days...riaa.com was knocked off by a DDoS the other day. But it's always better to patch, took me about 1/2 hour to do it (and I upgraded my kernel version in the process too) and know that there are no (known) holes in your system.

I'm going to be setting up a few linux servers soon for a project I'm working on, and you bet I would have patched all of them, even the ones which are going to be on an internal network. It doesn't take too long, especially if you keep up to date with your kernels already.
If you're using Suse it's easy to patch with YOU.
If God played dice, He'd win.—Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement