Advertisement

Installing java/eclipse!

Started by May 07, 2004 07:14 AM
4 comments, last by flukus 20 years, 4 months ago
After alot of mucking aroun I think I got the sun JDK working correctly "java -version" shows: java version "1.4.2_04" Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.4.2_04-b05) Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.4.2_04-b05, mixed mode) But when I try to install the eclipse IDE I get errors saying: eclipse-platform: Depends: j2re1.4 but it is not installable or j2re1.3 but it is not installable or java2-runtime but it is not installable Even though xandros-sun-j2re1.4 is installed! Can anyone help me out with this, I''ve been trying for hours! Thanks!
I''m not sure but I think you have to set the enviormental variable JAVA_HOME to point to the intall directory of you java installation, or else Eclipse doesn''t find java. Also add the bin directory of your java installation to your path.

Hope that helps

LizardCPP
Advertisement
Is the envireonment variable in linux or eclipse? apt-get won''t install it because it says it can''t find the j2re package.
JAVA_HOME is a shell variable, so you can change it the global profile, or in your user''s shell configuration file. Although if that doesn''t help, then I would suggest reading documentation on APT.
Hopefully this helps you.
Ok, I changed the bash_prfile around a bit for root an myself, I added this:

# java stuff
JAVA_PREFIX=/usr/java
JAVA_HOME=$JAVA_PREFIX/j2sdk1.4.2_04
CLASSPATH=$JAVA_HOME/lib:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/i386:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/javaws
PATH=$JAVA_HOME/bin:$JAVA_HOME/jre/bin:$PATH

export PATH JAVA_HOME CLASSPATH

But when I check the java -version as a regular user it works but it won''t for the root user. If apt-get uses this for installing stuff then I assume that it won''t install because of this.
Perhaps this thread will be of use to you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement