Advertisement

Serial communication

Started by April 20, 2004 09:45 PM
2 comments, last by griffenjam 20 years, 5 months ago
I just got a BASIC stamp that communicates with my computer via serial cable. I have the software to communicate with the stamp with linux, but it doesn''t find it. I have devices for /dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1 and it says there isn''t a stamp on either on them. I''ve never used serial devices with linux (aside from USB, which doesn''t work on this box for some strange reason). I''m using Gentoo and have set almost everything up from scratch. If there is something you have to do to get serial I/O to work I haven''t done it. Is there a module I should be looking for? What can I try?

"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas Gray I kick ass, my URL says so. My Online Photo Gallery

"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
okay, that problem is solved, now I can''t figure out how to actually run the program once it is on the chip. Anyone use a basic stamp with linux here?
"The paths of glory lead but to the grave." - Thomas GrayMy Stupid BlogMy Online Photo Gallery
Advertisement
does the serial port work for anything else? if not look into setserial
I haven''t worked with BASIC stamps, but typically you have to tell such devices to "go". Sometimes'' it''s go 0x100, go 0x10000, run 0x1000, etc...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement