Advertisement

optimal wm/de

Started by April 16, 2004 04:53 PM
-1 comments, last by DarkHamster 20 years, 5 months ago
I was thinking about this... imagine a wm/de where everything was on a bar on the bottom/top (can optionally be moved). On the left, you have several workspace icons (more on that later), quicklaunch items, and on the right you have a taskbar. When you switch workspaces, it loads a set of custom quicklaunch icons, and a custom desktop based on metadata stored for that workspace. E.g., I have a "school" workspace. When I click on it, it creates a quicklaunch for open-office (if I didn''t already have it), and the desktop now has two icons on it: one says "create a new document" and the other "edit a document." Clicking on "create a new document" opens a set of icons (still on the root window, there''s a pseudo-fm embedded in the root window) with two columns of options, one has "create a text document" and "create a slideshow presentation" or "create a math presentation" (with "text document" selected by default), and then in the middle I have "create a science document," "create an English document," etc.. I can fiddle with the type of document, and then click on create for whatever subject. Similiarly, "edit a document" opens up the embedded pseudo-fm and shows me all of my documents, the list of which can be trimmed down with buttons like "show science documents" or "show documents edited yesterday," etc.. The "pseudo-fm" I keep referring to is in fact a file-manager that operates (usually) on a set of metadata saved by the user (but can optionally be used to go through real file trees). The advantage to meta-data is that data can be automatically re-organized without worrying about pissing off the user when you moved their document to somewhere they can''t find it, and specific info can be stored (for instance you can store information about artist or album in metadata about oggs). I feel that if this were properly set up (and fine-tuned to a specific user''s needs) it would create a highly productive environment. Of course, no one would want to take the time to do that. So workspaces would be available as .xml files, such that, like plugins, people could build and redistribute them, so that they only needed minor changes (e.g. in the school example, you might change my school.workspace.xml file to have the names of your subjects instead of mine). Thoughts?

"There is no dark side of the moon really,
As a matter of fact, its all dark."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement