Advertisement

Installing Linux *FIrst Time*

Started by April 01, 2004 03:33 AM
13 comments, last by Justaddwater 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I bleed windows, we have Xp or 2003 server on all four of our computers at home, and CE on our phones and pda''s... so I know nothing about linux other then its penguin related. I decided to install it on my oldest machine, and am having no luck, I have downloaded iso''s from various releases mandrake, and something else I think slackerware anyway if anyone has the time to post a step by step or link me to a place that explains and shows exactally how to get linux running on a machine I would be happy! thanks
Moved to Everything Unix.
Advertisement
Well, I don''t have time to give step-by-step guides, but most Linux installers these days are fairly easy to use. If you can install Windows, you can install Fedora Core or SuSE.

I would suggest starting with a distro thats designed for ease-of-use like Fedora or SuSE (never having used Mandrake, I can''t comment on its ease-of-use, but its probably as good as the others). Slackware IIRC is harder to setup (althought this may have changed recently).

You might want to start with Knoppix. Its a run-from-cd distro that requires no installing. Its an excellent way to get your feet wet with Linux without all the hassles of reformatting a harddrive.

Also check out the Linux Document Project www.tldp.org for guides and howtos which will help.

Cheers
quote: Original post by Justaddwater
(...), and something else I think slackerware (...)

Thanks, you just made my day a bit happer

Edit: Might as well try to be helpful...

The last time I've seen Mandrake in action, I was not too happy. It made a friend want to throw his PC out the window and jump after it. It was just too strange and a bit too good at hiding the "scary" parts of Linux from the user. Something went wrong and we never found out what it was.

For all the "big" distros (Fedora, SuSE, ...) have a good look at the requirements, older systems might not have enough free diskspace.

[edited by - Shadowdancer on April 1, 2004 8:09:07 AM]
Sorry Oluseyi I didn''t know there was a Linux forum. Thanks for moving. Thanks everyone for your feedbak, here is the deal the machine its going on is formatted and ready for install so I don''t want to run from a disk.

its a
p2 450mhz
~392 ram
~10 gig hdd
4 or 16mb video card

so hopefully thats enough to run a good version of the os

The fastest and easiest distro that I would recommend would be slack. Slack is fairly easy to use, even for newbies. The mhz is a little low for something like mandrake or redhat but they would still run *ok*. After you get more used to linux you might want to consider running something like Source Mage, Gentoo, Lunar Linux, or Arch Linux. I use Arch.
Um..
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Vixtro
Slack is fairly easy to use, even for newbies.

I think that''s not entirely accurate. There are distros that try harder than slack to autoconfigure everything for you.

In slack you''ll have to expend a nice while compiling the kernel to fit your specs and editing a nice pot of config files before you got all up and running as you would like.
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Fedora is extremely easy to set up ... I dual boot
hm... i would personally put it like this (my opinion):

beginner: Mandrake
intermediate: Debian, GenToo
pro: GenToo
fr34ks: LFS ^_^

Life's like a Hydra... cut off one problem just to have two more popping out.
Leader and Coder: Project Epsylon | Drag[en]gine Game Engine

Gentoo pro? I doubt a professional would use gentoo. I''m sure professionals have better things to do than sitting around on their ass waiting for things to compile.

FWIW, i have been using linux since ''98 so I''m hardly a newbie. I use Mandrake. Mostly because i have better things to do than fiddle with boring system configurations.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement