Advertisement

sound problem

Started by March 16, 2004 12:53 AM
7 comments, last by eedok 20 years, 5 months ago
Well I had my sound working before, but it didn''t work for quake3 and one of the solutions was on the id page, to install opensound, so I did, and now when my computer starts up I get a "artsmessage Error while initializing the sound driver: device dev/dsp cannot be opened(no such device) the sound server will continue, using the null output device" How do I fix this?
Are you talking about OSS when you say "opensound"? Quake3, if I recall correctly, mmaps /dev/dsp which works when using OSS but didn''t work with ALSA''s OSS emulation last time I checked; which is why they might recommend using OSS. (I don''t own a copy of Quake 3, so things might have changed on me as I haven''t been forced to keep up-to-date in any way.)

Does /dev/dsp exist? Does /dev/dsp have permissions that allow it to be written to by whatever user you want to use it as?

What did you do in the process of installing "opensound"? Did you use a package or do it yourself? Did you modify the kernel at all in the process?

Advertisement
well I got annoyed from all the messages that kept popping up, so I reinstalled my mandrake, but kept my data partitian(mounted as /home) everything is almost back to normal, except when I try to run aumix to unmute the sound by default, it says error opening mixer, any ideas as to what''s wrong?
quote: Original post by eedok
... when I try to run aumix to unmute the sound by default, it says error opening mixer, any ideas as to what''s wrong?

What are the permissions on /dev/mixer?

there is no /dev/mixer or /dev/dsp..
Come to think of it, does Mandrake use devfs (or possibly udev in the newest version)? I would guess it does. I''m not particularly knowledgable about devfs (or udev), much less ALSA. Look in /dev for mixer files (possibly in /dev/sound; run find /dev/ -name ''*mixer*'' to list anything with mixer in its name). Someone who knows Mandrake better would likely be able to help more directly; there''s probably just some simple little thing of which I''m unaware.

Advertisement
If you''re using ALSA on a 2.6 kernel, try running /usr/src/linux-2.6.[version]/scripts/MAKEDEV.snd. That should create the right device nodes in /dev if they don''t already exist.

Also, have you got OSS API emulation enabled in your kernel config?
I dunno, it works now cause I totally reformatted, but thx for trying to help
OK I''m gonna try this again, but not so blindly so I don''t mess anything up in the process, when I go to run Quake3 I get this
------- sound initialization -------Could not mmap dma buffer PROT_WRITE|PROT_READtrying mmap PROT_WRITE (with associated better compatibility / less performance code)/dev/dsp: Input/output errorCould not mmap /dev/dsp------------------------------------

It runs perfectly except there''s no sound.. What are the things I should check to get it to work?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement