Advertisement

My Linux IMG Problem(Renamed)

Started by March 07, 2004 10:29 AM
19 comments, last by sSimontis 20 years, 6 months ago
I am attempting to instal a minimalist flavor of Linux on my laptop, and cannot get files to work. I am currently deciding between BLAG and Topologilinux. I have only tried booting with Topologilinux, however. My problem is that I cannot access the ISO files to install the OS. It doesn't recognize it when the computer starts, and when I attempt to access the file from the root account of my laptop's Mandrake Linux 6.1, I get the error "/mnt/cdrom/Topologilinux-4.0.0-cd1.iso: canot execute binary file" without the quotes. Is there a workaround to this? EDIT: Renamed post. Scott Simontis e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net AIM:ssimontis [edited by - ssimontis on March 7, 2004 7:13:48 PM]
Scott SimontisMy political blog
iso files are not executable. iso files are normally CD image files. You need to use a burning program like nero to burn them to a CD (don''t burn the iso file as a file onto the CD, tell nero to use the iso file as a CD image, which will burn the contents of the iso file). You could also use a program like ISOBuster to extract the files from the iso manually.
Advertisement
How does ISOBuster woprk? I opened the file, but now what? THe documentation didn''t seem to help me much.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
nero->file->burn image
I eat heart attacks
Thnks for all the help, I well get Nero and burn the file.

Scott Simontis
e-mail:ageofscott@NOSPAM.comcast.net
AIM:ssimontis
most cd burnign software has image burning ability.

at least, I ahve yet to find one without.
Advertisement
Free Powertoy for ISO burning

I had ISOBuster, and honestly it just didn''t work well for me. Finally, I used Nero 6 Ultra to burn my ISO file... unfortunately, it''s not included in the demo. I have a friend who bought Nero, though, and he ... er, sort of loaned me his serial number... *angelic smile*

Yeah, I just (what, 15 minutes ago?) burned DamnSmall to disk and played around with it... it''s wonderful. Now I''m looking into NetBSD... lol

- CD

Brought to you by Code_Dark
If you get a chance check out knoppix.
What the ...?
What''s all this windows advice doing in here?!

''mount -t iso9660 -o loop /path/to/isofile.iso /mnt/iso'' will mount the cdimage as if it''s any other drive on your system.

cdrecord will burn the iso to cd before any gui program has even had a chance to get started

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement