Advertisement

Smallest Linux Distro?

Started by March 04, 2004 01:48 PM
8 comments, last by Code_Dark 20 years, 6 months ago
Hi, I have dialup, and have to make all of my large downloads at school. Since school is only open a few hours a day (high school, mind you), I need a small distro. Basically, on an approximately 30-something kb/s download speed, what''s the smallest distro I can download? Boot from CD-ROM? Any help is welcome. Thanks in advance, - CD Brought to you by Code_Dark
Damn Small Linux is the smallest distro that I can think of off the top of my head.
Advertisement
Thanks, I''ll check it out

- CD

Brought to you by Code_Dark
lol, thats a good answer SiCrane.

for bootable from CD-Rom, knoppix is a possibility.

[edited by - nervo on March 4, 2004 2:56:49 PM]
Well, R2D22U2..
I dont know how mutch this will help you, but http://www.linux.org/dist/index.html lets you filter through all of the linux destributions to find the one you need. I dont see any 'size' filter but I just thaught I'd let you know.

EDIT: For the 'Category' select 'Minimalist'

[edited by - aftermath on March 4, 2004 12:37:29 AM]
Rate me up.
Just be aware that the smaller the distro is the less room there is for choice, and that will limit what you might be able to do with it. x discs ~> kx packages (k is some constant)
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
Advertisement
You could compile your own and make it just about as small as you want using Linux From Scratch.
Good news guys!

I just burned the .iso of DamnSmall to disk and booted from disk... I played around with it for a few minutes, it''s great... the only problem is that since I''m currently on dialup using a WinModem (), I couldn''t connect to the INTARWEB. Oh well, this is gonna own at school with their T3 connect...

Thanks for all the help, this is wonderful.

- CD

Brought to you by Code_Dark
quote: Original post by SiCrane
Damn Small Linux is the smallest distro that I can think of off the top of my head.

Wrong, just do a search in this (it''s nothing more than http://www.google.com/linux)for Mini Distro or Floppy Distros. You will find some 20 or 30 floppy distros. Boot from 1 or 2 or 3 floppy disks or one mini cd. In the miniCD distros there are plenty too.

[Cyberdrek | the last true sorcerer | Spirit Mage - mutedfaith.com][ Administrator & WebMaster GuLSE]
[Cyberdrek | ]
Cyberdrek, if you''re going quote me and call me wrong, at have the courtesy to read my post correctly. I said Damn Small was the smallest one I could think of, not the smallest one there is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement