Advertisement

need to choose a distro...aaaggghhh

Started by February 17, 2004 10:28 PM
17 comments, last by Vlion 20 years, 6 months ago
Arg. I''d like to have a 2.4.26 or whichever the last 2.4 kernel was; however, I have had hideous luck actually compiling a kernel. Kernel panic, local gurus stumped... Anyway: I like Debian- the Woody distro, appropriatly upgraded to testing, works really well; it upgrades/installs stuff easily, etc. However, I''m not enthralled by the non-CD install method. I don''t have time to burn playing with hard disks and getting everything perfect. That''s why I think Gentoo is not an option: because I have to spend a weekend working it out- otherwise it would be great. Mandrake 10 looks good, but does it upgrade easily? Thats the issue here really- can I upgrade my linux seamlessly, plus install it easily with the most recent 2.4? Easily is defined as Red Hat- or DebianCD-esque. Do any distros do this?
~V'lionBugle4d
I want to try Mandrake 10 when the final comes out, but I am using fedora and it is pretty good. It should upgrade nicely to fc2.
Advertisement
I''m looking to start with Hurd once I build my comp. I want Hurd on one drive, some version of Linux on another, and space for a third. (It''s a "Why not?" thing.)

As tired as I am getting of proprietary software, I''ll also need Windows for school. Granted, I don''t like it and I won''t install anything more than the bare necessity for school.

Seriously, I think we''ll all be using Hurd in a few years.

==================
Benjamin Heath
==================
quote: Original post by Benjamin Heath
Seriously, I think we''ll all be using Hurd in a few years.

I seriously doubt that.

"they" said the exact same thing ten years ago.
I'd be more excited about Hurd if the CVS showed lotsa stuff checked in within the last two weeks...
On topic please?

[edited by - Vlion on February 18, 2004 12:03:27 PM]
~V'lionBugle4d
I''m on gentoo at the moment, and it suits me perfectly. However, I''m running 2.6 kernels and bleeding-edge software, which is what it''s good for. If you want an easy, non-network based install, I''d say don''t go for gentoo or debian.

I last used Mandrake at version 9.0, and found quite a few irritations with it, but if you aren''t wanting to tweak your system, you''ll probably find it easier than gentoo, but it doesn''t look like it has the slickest upgrade process; that''s where Gentoo and Debian really shine. I''m downloading Fedora 2.0test1 at the moment to try out, but that claims to be "a test bed for the 2.6 kernel", so that might be a problem if you specifically want 2.4.

BTW, the latest 2.4 kernel is 2.4.25, released today. And why do you want a 2.4 over 2.6 kernel anyway?
Advertisement
Mostly cause there are still some things being ironed out with 2.6 drivers: I''m going to wait until things have stabilized, etc.
I know 2.4.25 is going to be basically rock solid: most of known problems are gone or workarounded.
~V'lionBugle4d
You just cant say `no'' to Gentoo

It takes some time to set it up, depending on you''re experience level. If you read the friendly documentation, everything will be fine. When you install it, you will completely fall in love with it. IMHO it is the best Linux distribution ever made.
Rate me up.
quote: Original post by aftermath
You just cant say `no'' to Gentoo
No.
Fedora is nice, but don''t use it if you want light.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement