Advertisement

GNU/Linux 3D Game Development

Started by February 10, 2004 07:09 AM
2 comments, last by doc hex 20 years, 7 months ago
I hoping you guys might be able to point me in the direction of some good sites that do Linux game development. There’s way too much about MS-Windows and not enough Linux. Hopefully a site that has some tutorials, I’m at the point I don’t even know what I need to know to start development. Cheers!
Don''t know about tutes, but for a kindof DirectX equivalent check out SDL. As for anything 3D, OpenGL all the way.
"Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition. The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous. Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me V.".....V
Advertisement
For 3d you really should check out NeHes tutorials. They uses OpenGL, and many of the tutorial sources is ported to Linux.

You can check the tutorials out at nehe.gamedev.net look at the buttom of a tutorial for ported sources. (Not all is ported to Linux, as some of them uses Windows-specific libs)
well gcc is your compiler http://gcc.gnu.org/
Coming from windows you are probably used to IDEs, and while their are good IDEs for linux http://www.kdevelop.org/, i would entirely recommend compiling from the shell, and writing your own makefiles.

definitely check out SDL. It offers a large range of useful libraries and bindings to many other languages.

Also maybe check out wxWindows or gtk or something for some easy to use windowing toolkits.

good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement