Advertisement

Changing bit depth in Linux?

Started by February 07, 2004 01:15 PM
3 comments, last by Drag0n 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi! I''m already quite familiar with the XF86VidMode extension, but I noticed that it isn''t possible to change the bit depth through this extension. How do you do it then? Not that it is really important, but I''m just curious! cya, Drag0n ----------------------------- "Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook My future web presence: Dave''s Programming Resources
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
in your XFree86 config file ( normaly /etc/X11/XF86Config ), in the "Screen" Module, you have to write something like this:

Section "Screen"	Identifier "Screen0"	Device     "Card0"	Monitor    "Monitor0"	DefaultDepth      24	SubSection "Display"		Depth     1	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     4	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     8	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     15	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     16	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     24	EndSubSectionEndSection 

our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
Advertisement
quote: Original post by 666_1337
in your XFree86 config file ( normaly /etc/X11/XF86Config ), in the "Screen" Module, you have to write something like this:

Section "Screen"	Identifier "Screen0"	Device     "Card0"	Monitor    "Monitor0"	DefaultDepth      24	SubSection "Display"		Depth     1	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     4	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     8	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     15	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     16	EndSubSection	SubSection "Display"		Depth     24	EndSubSectionEndSection  

Yeah, I already have the 16bit and 24bit modes, but I want to use Xlib for changing the bit depth!

cya,
Drag0n

-----------------------------
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook

My future web presence: Dave''s Programming Resources
-----------------------------"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning..." -- Rich Cook"...nobody ever accused English pronounciation and spelling of being logical." -- Bjarne Stroustrup"...the war on terror is going badly because, if you where to compare it to WWII, it's like America being attacked by Japan, and responding by invading Brazil." -- Michalson
er, doesn''t randr do something like this?

I remember there being something along those lines out there.
The RANDR extension changes resolution on the fly. I''m not sure if it can do bit-depths aswell, but it would be the first place to look.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement