Advertisement

Help: 2.6 and kernel panic

Started by February 04, 2004 08:12 AM
6 comments, last by -vic- 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi folks, I trying to compile a Linux 2.6 kernel, but i'm getting a kernel panic. Here are the last messages i get: --- RAMDISK: cramfs filesystem found at block 0 RAMDISK: Loading 3076 blocks [1 disk] into ramdisk... done sh-2621: reiserfs_fill_super: can not find reiserfs on ram0 Kernel Panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on hda2 --- Anybody has any idea of what might be causing that, please? What i find strange is that it's trying to find a reiserfs on ram0, when i suppose it should try to find it in hda2, which is my root fs, and which is a reiserfs partition. But maybe i'm wrong, i don't know. Any help is appreciated... Thanks, Victor. EDIT: Oh, and i have reiserfs support compiled into the kernel (not as module). [edited by - -vic- on February 4, 2004 9:17:05 AM]
c[_]~~
I''ve just noticed that i haven''t put suport for CRAMFS into the kernel:

CONFIG_CRAMFS=m

Maybe that''s the problem?

Thanks
Victor.
c[_]~~
Advertisement
Have you enabled reiserfs in the kernel config ?
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
after I emerged 2.6, Gentoo prompted me to add some special kernel parameters at boot time:

root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hdax

Where hdax is your "real" root partition (i.e. the partition mounted at /)

While I''ve not tried the kernel myself yet (waiting for KDE to compile - yay Gentoo! ), you may want to try this if you haven''t already.
refrain_from_stupidity( &me );
quote: Original post by George2

Yup, i said:

Oh, and i have reiserfs support compiled into the kernel (not as module).

quote:
after I emerged 2.6, Gentoo prompted me to add some special kernel parameters at boot time:

root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hdax

Where hdax is your "real" root partition (i.e. the partition mounted at /)

While I''ve not tried the kernel myself yet (waiting for KDE to compile - yay Gentoo! ), you may want to try this if you haven''t already.

Hmm... i haven''t tried - i''m compiling the kernel with cramfs into the kernel - but thanks, i''ll try that too!

Victor.

c[_]~~
quote: Original post by -vic-
quote: Original post by George2

Yup, i said:

Oh, and i have reiserfs support compiled into the kernel (not as module).

Euhm, must learn to read the full post.

"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Advertisement
Just for the record: i managed to get it working by enabling CRAMFS support into the kernel. But now i regreat i got it working... (read my post "That''s it, 2.6 sucks.").

Victor.
c[_]~~
So, does the problem still occur?
Did you compile it using make menuconfig && make && make modules_install ? or did you use Genkernel? If you did not use Genkernel, then try somthing like the following, this is what I have (assuming you use GRUB):
# Gentoo Linuxtitle=Gentoo Linux 2.6.1root (hd0,4)kernel (hd0,4)/kernel-2.6.1 root=/dev/hda7 vga=0x317 splash=verbose 

Good luck, I too just installed Gentoo an am loving it!
Rate me up.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement