Advertisement

Debian help

Started by December 30, 2003 08:25 PM
24 comments, last by Fibonacci One 20 years, 8 months ago
So it looks like we''ve narrowed it down to a problem with drivers for X.

I find it odd that apt would complain about THOSE packages as they''re pretty mundane, but I''ve not had much experience with telling apt to look in a different dist (that "-t experimental" option). Just running "apt-get install [those package names]" ought to work.

Image loads when I''m online since I''m too lazy to find a permanent host.The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.

My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
So I tried to install some of the individual packages that is said it needed and it looks like it's having a version problem with some of them.

It said (or so I think) it requires version 2.3.2.ds1-4 of libc6 but when I tried an "apt-get install libc6=2.3.2.ds1-4" it said it couldn't find it.

Any ideas?

Edit:
one idea of mine is: in the line you had me add to sources.list, you had me list all of the directories in ../project/experimental/. I went to check those out and I see each of the folders you had me list has sub folders, do I have to list those too? Is there a command that just tells it to search all of the subfolders?

also, what does the -t do?

[edited by - fibonacci one on December 31, 2003 9:50:25 PM]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by Fibonacci One
also, what does the -t do?

There are several versions of Debian, each has a different name: Slink/Hamm/Potato (old ones), Woody (the current stable), Sarge (testing - this will be the stable after Woody), and Sid (unstable - this one is always called Sid). There is also an experimental "version" that has things that aren''t even in unstable (Sid) yet. That "-t experimental" tells apt-get to look in that particular version''s set of packages for the named packages, instead of whatever the default is. XFree86 4.3 is still experimental - hasn''t reached unstable - that''s why you have to tell apt-get to look in experimental.

quote:
It said (or so I think) it requires version 2.3.2.ds1-4 of libc6 but when I tried an "apt-get install libc6=2.3.2.ds1-4" it said it couldn''t find it.

Are you sure it didn''t say >= 2.3.2.ds1-4? Because that we can deal with. Otherwise we''d have to go looking into some archives...

Image loads when I''m online since I''m too lazy to find a permanent host.The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.

My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.
That might be caused by you running stable or testing, I guess. Suppose I just assumed you were running unstable (Sid) already. If you''re running stable, you''ll have to use one of the XFree86 4.3 backports (see apt-get.org for a list, pick whichever one looks nice and trustworthy to you; there are some maintained by Debian developers). Add the line they tell you to sources.list instead and try the process over again. Sorry about that.

I''m running woody and it did say (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4).

so this means I should just look at the list null and void gave me and add the line it says there (then rinse and repeat). Or do I have some other error?
quote: Original post by Fibonacci One
I''m running woody and it did say (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4).

so this means I should just look at the list null and void gave me and add the line it says there (then rinse and repeat). Or do I have some other error?

Yep, do that. Don''t forget to make sure the line you''ll be adding is for woody. Null and Void gave you a list of package repositories for apt; and there it says if the repository is for woody, or sarge, or sid, etc. Get one for woody.

Of course you could also dist-upgrade for sid, instead of using woody. Maybe you should get some more info about this woody/sarge/sid (or Debian stable/testing/unstable) thing, to learn more about how Debian works.

Victor.

c[_]~~
Advertisement
Forgot to say one thing:

You can also try Knoppix - which is Debian-based, but much easier to install/configure than Debian. It''s better for people new to GNU/Linux.

Victor.
c[_]~~
well, this is the version my school uses...so I'd like to get conformtable with it.

I went through and tried installing more then half of the stuff listed on the site null and void gave me, but none of them worked. Any other ideas? I wouldn't be completly against installing unstable or sid if you guys think it would fix the problem and wouldn't be that much different then woody.

Or, is there a way to check to make sure I did put xfree86 3.0? Maybe I just messed up somewhere.

[edited by - Fibonacci One on January 1, 2004 4:56:22 PM]
Ok, I'm going to reinstall what I have now (to get rid of anything I added without knowing) then I'll do a dist upgrade to sid. I'm installing by ftp so you guys have a bit of time to yell at me before I do the dist upgrade if you know of something that will go wrong.

[edited by - Fibonacci One on January 1, 2004 8:24:57 PM]
I put the sites:
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
deb http://non-us.debian.org/ unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

into etc/apt/sources.list and commented everything else out. Then I used "apt-get update" followed by "apt-get dist-upgrade".
Everything ran fine except for one package that didn''t install (but I managed to install it afterwards).
But...it still doesn''t see the drivers. I''m thinking of just reinstalling the version I have and burning the drivers to a cd...but the ati website only has the drivers in .rpm format. How would I do this?

also, how do I run a .sh file?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement