Advertisement

2.6.0 is there!

Started by December 18, 2003 04:31 AM
22 comments, last by SwSh 20 years, 8 months ago
OMGOMG, the 2.6.0 kernel is out! It''s compile time!!! www.kernel.org SwSh website!
And it''s great for Gamedev - Proper pre-emption, extended USB gaming device support (Joystick programming with Force Feedback is a cinch in Linux compared to DX). Must download and compile!!!! Yey! It even has XBOX and PS2 game controller drivers built-in. ALSA has proper RTC support too!
Advertisement
its been out for months....
HexSkillz:

Not in ''stable'' form it hasn''t...

Jx
quote: Original post by pkelly83
And it''s great for Gamedev - Proper pre-emption, extended USB gaming device support (Joystick programming with Force Feedback is a cinch in Linux compared to DX). Must download and compile!!!! Yey! It even has XBOX and PS2 game controller drivers built-in. ALSA has proper RTC support too!

What do you mean by ''proper preemption''? sorry to ask but i''m not deeply involved on *nix''es

-Mat
So who''s tried it yet? And what do you think of it so far?

I''m probably going to wait until about 2.6.3 or so to start using it, unless I hear lots of good things about it.
Advertisement
Well, I''m compiling it right now. But I don''t expect much differences in comparison to the recent test releases I''ve used. It just got "stable", but I don''t think I''ll even notice anything.

SwSh website!
quote: Original post by matias suarez
What do you mean by 'proper preemption'? sorry to ask but i'm not deeply involved on *nix'es
-Mat

The Scheduler was O(n) now it's O(1) (not sure about that). So Linux was not very fast with many tasks and under load it wasn't as responsible as Windows.

There's a article about that here: http://developer.osdl.org/craiger/hackbench/

For example Mozilla now reacts very smoothly if you compile something with GCC at the same time, with 2.4 I got many short lags while browsing

[edited by - noVum on December 18, 2003 12:56:42 PM]
Been running it for months. (think -test1....now) Very stable for me. In fact I''ve only had 1 non-critical problem that lasted about a day before it got patched.

Try it. It won''t nuke your machine...
*Waiting for the source to propagate into Debian Sid.*

I know I don''t have to wait, but I''m in no hurry.

Image loads when I''m online!The following statement is true. The previous statement is false.
Shameless promotion:
FreePop: The GPL Populous II clone.
My stuff.Shameless promotion: FreePop: The GPL god-sim.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement