Advertisement

Linux doesn't like my ethernet card

Started by December 13, 2003 12:56 AM
4 comments, last by nagromo 20 years, 9 months ago
I have a Realtek RTL8139/810x integrated ethernet card, ADSL with a router, and Mandrake Linux 9.0. The problem is that it can''t access the internet or network; I have to boot Windows to access the internet. Another computer running Mandrake on the same network accesses the internet fine, so I think in is the ethernet card. How can I install a driver for this card? Please help me, because I don''t like windows!
This probably isn''t the best place to ask such a question. Open up an IRC client, connect to irc.freenode.net, and go to #linuxhelp or #linpeople.

IN the meantime, if I remember correctly that card uses the "8139too" module.

as root:
#/sbin/lsmod

(lists driver modules already inserted into running kernel, see if you see 8139too listed) if it isn''t, try modprobing it.
#/sbin/modprobe 8139too

then either manually set the network up using ifconfig, route, and editing /etc/resolv.conf appropriately, or use an automatic dhcp configuration tool if your router supports it.

#/sbin/pump
or perhaps
#/sbin/dhcpcd
Advertisement
if that doesn''t work, you can also try

modprobe 8139cp

then init network.

if either of those works, post again and i can tell you have to make the changes permanent
No, 8139too seems to be the correct module. It still doesn't work, though. Before, at startup, it would try to init eth0 for a long time, then say failed. When I switched to 8139too, it stuck around from boot to boot, and it worked. The only problem is that my network is DHCP, and it was set to static. When I switched it to DHCP, at startup, it would give an error saying something like Finding IP information about eth0...Failed. It needs to be DHCP to access the router (I think, I know the rest of the network is DHCP), but it can't find IP info when it's set to DHCP.

When I tried to use 8139cp, it said it couldn't find the device

[edited by - nagromo on December 14, 2003 7:39:20 PM]

[edited by - nagromo on December 14, 2003 9:43:54 PM]
It doesn''t sound like it''s too badly buggered..

Try issueing /sbin/dhcpcd to see if any configuration is needed, but if that doesn''t work, then don''t discount the server side of things: does your DHCP server only issue IP addresses to particular MAC addresses, perhaps?
--Mr Smidge
I tried /sbin/dhcpcd, but it gave no output... no errors or anything. Another computer using mandrake, and my computer using windows, access it fine, so I don''t think it''s the server. Please tell me if I''m wrong, though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement