Advertisement

Going mouseless

Started by December 11, 2003 09:29 PM
5 comments, last by clum 20 years, 9 months ago
Is it possible to do everything on the computer easily without a mouse? I''ve been playing around with e-macs recently and I realised how convenient it is to never move my hands (aside from pressing backspace, that button''s just too far for my likings). Is there a windows manager or something which allows for easy navigation with just the keyboard? Is it possible to do normal tasks (browsing web, e-mail, programming) all without the mouse? The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
One time, my mouse was messed up, and I didn''t have time to go buy a new one. I just used the keyboard. It was kindda hard to play WC3, tough.. Actually, I never did manage to start a game in WC3, let alone play it.

I suppose it IS posibble, but you won''t be able to play a lot of games..

Quick Clickys: [ WiseElben.com | My Journal | nMagic | My Profile ]
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he will eat for a life time."
-Chinese Proverb
Advertisement
if you''re willing to set it up, windowmaker or any other wm could do it. (With keyboard shortcuts)

I''ve found that the biggest hassle for not having a mouse is tabbing through all the links on websites. Thus, I have a mouse.

However, if you''re not going to use a mouse, why bother with X at all? I worked for ... over 3 months without X at all on my home PC. (The only thing is that I wanted a bigger screen for vim)

Scout

All polynomials are funny - some to a higher degree.
Furthermore, polynomials of degree zero are constantly funny.
All polynomials are funny - some to a higher degree.Furthermore, polynomials of degree zero are constantly funny.
quote: Original post by MrScout
I''ve found that the biggest hassle for not having a mouse is tabbing through all the links on websites. Thus, I have a mouse.

Mozilla''s "typeahead find" addresses that problem: just type the first letters of the link''s text.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
"ion" and "ratpoison" are keyboard friendly WM, but very barebone.

Hope this helps.
quote: Original post by MrScout
However, if you''re not going to use a mouse, why bother with X at all? I worked for ... over 3 months without X at all on my home PC. (The only thing is that I wanted a bigger screen for vim)

I still have a mouse, its just that I''d like to use it as little as possible for convenience sake, and I''d like to know what software supports the keyboard the best way. And Mozilla works very well without a mouse (though, for some strange reason, the tab order in these forums is a bit weird).

I''m trying out ion now (I can''t believe how small of a download it was, on my cable modem it downloaded in a few seconds!)

Thank you everyone for their advice. How about other programs that work well without a mouse? (I know emacs can do everything in existence, but I''d rather have a normal e-mail program, etc.)

The official zorx website
Advertisement
I am most impressed with ion (it literally loads instantly I can''t tell the difference in time between loading it and it appearing). I feel like I haven''t moved my shoulders in hours (which is probably true, besides an occasional answering of the phone and occasionally "cheating" with the mouse). I''m actually getting used to not using the mouse and now things are much faster. I''ve actually found that some programs are well designed for people not using the mouse (especially Mozilla). I''m still using kmail, which has good mouse controls. Its a bit inconvenient memorizing the names of all the programs I like to use, but its worth it. Thank you everyone for their suggestions. KDE and C++BuilderX were really the only programs I had used previously which really required the mouse to do simple tasks, and I''ve now replaced those with Ion and emacs.

The official zorx website

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement