Advertisement

Upgrading a Linux box

Started by December 11, 2003 03:49 AM
8 comments, last by Crispy 20 years, 9 months ago
I''ll just post the questions in a list - easier for everyone: 1) What are the vitals I would have to copy from the old system to the new one without messing up the new system''s configuration. 2) Can I also move Ethernet device settings (ifconfig) to an intermediary box that has a different set of Ethernet devices installed (will the different mac addresses play an important role?) 3) I do not know what linux is running at the moment (how do I check that?) - no GUI is installed. It''s an older one, that is for sure. Are there any special considerations that I need to keep in mind when upgrading to something newer (in this case RedHat 9)? I''d appreciate some help.
"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
moved from the lounge
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Advertisement
I don''t understand.

Your just upgrading your kernel right?
Just make sure you compile your kernel properly and it all should still work
No, not really. I''m upgrading the entire hardware set (everything but the network cards). In addition, I''m installing a totally different distrubution of Linux (RedHat 9) with a bunch of new features (ftp, http and smtp server etc.). The current solution is a minimalistic one with only the essentials installed (doesn''t even have ''locate'' and other basic features). What I''d like to know is, since I''m a relative beginner, what the vital files that describe the harware/software configuration, are and where they reside. For instance, I will most likely want to use the previosuly used iptables.conf, right? What about dhcp and ssh? Where do these keep their config files? And are there any other essential files that I could use on a newer Linux distribution without messing up either the old or the new installations.

"Literally, it means that Bob is everything you can think of, but not dead; i.e., Bob is a purple-spotted, yellow-striped bumblebee/dragon/pterodactyl hybrid with a voracious addiction to Twix candy bars, but not dead."- kSquared
RedHat 9 should autodetect your dhcp and ethernet settings (at least every distribution that I''ve ever seen has detected mine).
cat /proc/version should tell you what version of the kernel you''re running, I don''t know if there''s a way of finding out your distribution.

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
yeah like he said

for iptables:

iptables-save > /mnt/floppy/file_dump
iptables-restore /mnt/floppy/file_dump

the only *vital* files you should concern yourself with are the ones you edited yourself, and you don't need us to tell you where those files are.

[edited by - hexskillz on December 11, 2003 12:57:42 PM]
Advertisement
clum : it''s a server for ~100 computers

HexSkillz: aha - thanks. However, I didn''t configure it mysel (I just started out as the administrator). What else should I concern myself about?

My suggestion? get a second machine, install redhat 9 on that and then configure it until it works.

the just switch which machine is the "test" one and which is the "production" one.

Do that, and nobody will ever notice the switch and will love you as an admin.

Otherwise, if you screw up the production machine and those 100 people can''t access their data, you''re gonna get nailed. hard. up the... you know.
Mmkay - thanks! Yet another question - will Linux be fine if I just copy over dhcp.conf - it contains a lot of subnets and reconfiguring everything in it seems like a drag.

quote: Original post by C-Junkie
Otherwise, if you screw up the production machine and those 100 people can''t access their data, you''re gonna get nailed. hard. up the... you know.

I''v e already had ataste of that . Furthermore, those 100 people = students... And it''s the end of the semester - eek

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement