Advertisement

help! Installed linux on a computer with windows and now windows doesnt work!

Started by December 07, 2003 06:50 PM
31 comments, last by HTML 20 years, 9 months ago
I installed linux on another computer with windows and it does not boot, although linux does. Why is this? I think the windows partition is primary and the linux boot partition is primary, but I do not think this would make a difference. It just makes a blinking curser and says booting windows
Lilo or grub?
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
Post your lilo.conf/grub.conf file.

The official zorx website
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
You didn''t install Linux on the same partition as Windows did you?
If you have them on different partitions make sure that your boot loaders ".conf" file has an entry for your Windows installation, and has the actual path to where windows is on your hard disk, if you aren''t quite sure, you can run fdisk and see where it is.
If you did a standard Windows installation and then added Linux on the end of the hard disk, then Windows is probably on hda1. If this is the case, then adding the following to the end of lilo.conf should work:
other=/dev/hda1    label=Windows

Just make sure you have a prompt line at the top.

I don''t know what the syntax would be for GRUB, as I''ve only ever used lilo.
Advertisement
If you are using Grub, add the following to the /boot/grub/menu.lst file:

title Windowsrootnoverify (hd0,0)chainloader +1 

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
(Go away troll)

Please tell us that you didnt install Linux on the SAME partition as Windows. Assuming you didnt your problem is fixable..

Jon
quote: Original post by jonpolly99
(Go away troll)
At whom is this remark addressed?

DGDev -- The Delphi Games Development Community
Help GameDev.net fight cancer
[ PGD - The Home of Pascal Game Development! ] [ Help GameDev.net fight cancer ]
quote: Original post by Useless Hacker
At whom is this remark addressed?

An (not quite) anonymous post by Torn Space that I deleted (thought about leaving it because it had been referenced in another post, but I tried). Now, back to ignoring no-longer-existing troll posts...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement