Advertisement

building emacs with msvc!!!

Started by December 07, 2003 01:05 AM
8 comments, last by r 20 years, 9 months ago
hi, i downloaded emacs-21.3 but i couldn''t build it with msvc actually i get some error telling me that i need "cp" the unix file copy program when i configure --with-msvc so anybody knows what should i do. thx all
rad
Download Cygwin, and then try. Cygwin provides a bunch of UNIX-like functionality to Windows machines.
Advertisement
thanx but cygwin is too much for me to download any other suggestions?
rad
I believe that the UnixUtils project (http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/) has everything you''d need (in addition to the compiler) to build emacs.
Or gnuwin32.sourceforge.net, that''s what I use

Just add the installed programs'' paths to MSVC''s path and you''re done.
there is a entry for the copy-instruction in either the makefile or the configure-script... fix it...

our new version has many new and good features. sadly, the good ones are not new and the new ones are not good
Advertisement
fwiw you can get a prebuilt xemacs for windows as well.
http://www.xemacs.org/
http://www.xemacs.org/Download/index.html
thanx alot guys i got UnixUtils and the updates the configure.bat
worked fine but it didn''t generate any makefiles so i went again and got xemacs it''s very cool i like it very much and i''m kinda leaving msvc.net7.1 for it since it made me a very lazy programmer.

so, what should i do if i want to begin linux operating/programming i mean what linux version should i get for the first linux contact for both using and programming .i''m a windows XP guy with a pIII 850 128mb and i really want to write an opengl driver for my radeon 8500 since information i need is a top secret M$ CLASSIFIED stuff so i''ll do it in linux .

thanx again
rad
quote: Original post by r
so, what should i do if i want to begin linux operating/programming i mean what linux version should i get for the first linux contact for both using and programming .

Depends if you want to start out easy or not. Easy: Red Hat (or Fedora), Mandrake, or SuSE. Less than easy: Debian, Gentoo, or Slackware. Or, for the complete do-it-yourself experience you can try Linux from Scratch (this will take a decent amount of time to do). One programs basically the same way regardless of the distribution one uses.

quote: Original post by r
i''m a windows XP guy with a pIII 850 128mb and i really want to write an opengl driver for my radeon 8500 since information i need is a top secret M$ CLASSIFIED stuff so i''ll do it in linux .

Look into the DRI project, they have a working multi-generation Radeon driver written (some of the high-end features have yet to be reverse engineered from what I''ve heard, though).

I''ve never written a driver for any operating system (never had a reason to), but I doubt Microsoft really holds back information on how to do it (of course, MSDN is still painful to find your way around due to horrible organization and a barely working search, so I can''t blame someone for not wanting to try).

You could also get precompiled emacs for windows; from same place where you got the source

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement