Advertisement

Games won't start up on linux...

Started by November 22, 2003 12:41 AM
6 comments, last by HTML 20 years, 10 months ago
When I try to run 3d games such as quake 3 or americas army I get this error: Xlib: extension "XiG-SUNDRY-NONSTANDARD" missing on display ":0.0". Xlib: extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0". Anyone happen to know why? I am using NVIDIA 4496 linux drivers and have a ti4200. I thought dri only applied to ati cards...
Did you modify your X config file after you installed the nvidia drivers ? Do you see the nvidia logo when X starts up ?
"THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS REPORT IS CLASSIFIED; DO NOT GO TO FOX NEWS TO READ OR OBTAIN A COPY." , the pentagon
Advertisement
add

Load "dri" into somewhere into you XFree86Config file

the best thing to do is consult the installation guide or note than been included togather with your nVidia Linux driver... over there youget better detail on how to install it and configure it.... and always remeber Linux/Unix = fully manual unlike Window = auto. :D
:)
I added the line Load "dri", but it didn''t seemt to help..

I see the Nvidia logo, and I did modify my config file a little. Just changed it from 16 to 24 bit, uped the refresh rates and added more desktop resolutions.
check you xfre86 logfile for possible errors (should be at "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" but some broken distros keep it somewhere else )

also check if glxgears runs with expectable framerates (to see if 3d acceleration is enabled, fps should be around 1500 (xp2000/gf4-4200)

other than that check you xserver version.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/lousyphreak/
Didn''t see any errors in the log file..although I have no idea what one would look like. ( I just searched for the word "error" it came up with 1 thing but it was part of the help thing or something, up by the description)

I tried the glxgears but it doesnt show the framerates for some reson. How do you get it to tell you those? or do I just let it sit and run like a benchmark?
Advertisement
quote:
( I just searched for the word "error" it came up with 1 thing but it was part of the help thing or something, up by the description)

this line was actually pointin in the right direction:
lines starting with (EE) are errors
lines starting with (WW) are warnings ...

quote:
I tried the glxgears but it doesnt show the framerates for some reson. How do you get it to tell you those? or do I just let it sit and run like a benchmark?

know this one
start it from the console, every five seconds it will print the values there

you could also try and look at the readme coming with the drivers
http://mitglied.lycos.de/lousyphreak/
Thanks

I ran glxgears and I am getting ~6500 because I have only a 700mhz processor temperarily...so I guess thats more than what I am supposed to be getting though.

oh, and there are no errors..

[edited by - HTML on November 22, 2003 7:57:48 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement