Advertisement

mandrake 9.2 installation from magizine

Started by November 12, 2003 06:30 AM
6 comments, last by Gameplayer 20 years, 10 months ago
i purchased linux format the other day, as it had mandrake 9.2 (i have 9.1 running along windows 98 se) and thaught i would install it as i wanted Kdevelop on my system... as i bought the 9.1 standard edition, which does not come with Kdevelop (which realy realy annoyed me). during the operating systems installation (of open office, and one or two other parts of the installation) the system complains that certan packages could not be installed... It then sais that there was an error during installation(at the end of the installation) and will not let you progress in the installation. my questions are: Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did they fix it? and All i realy want is Kdevelop, what packages would i need to install, from the cd''s, and in what order? Any help would be greatly appriciated... thanks in advance BTW: i only have internet access at school, and so cant download it of the internet, otherwise i would have by now... XgameStation A Console Game Development Kit
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
If KDE was successfully installed, then you should be able to install kdevelop-2.1.5-16mdk.i586.rpm. I don''t know which CD it''s on, though. I found it looking in an FTP mirror of 9.2. I guess that''s the only package it''d need. If not, just install whatever it complains about not having.
I like the DARK layout!
Advertisement
no it wasn''t installed, or at least not properly.

i tried running it once i had turned the computer off, but it just came up with errors and the caps lock and num lock button lights flash on and off, as if there was any other way of flashing(no comment).

XgameStation A Console Game Development Kit
Your light-flashing sounds like a kernel-panic to me...

Try to check your in install cd and if it is not broken, then do a reinstall
how do i check the install cd, im quite a linux neube.

i dont know anything about those command line thingies (the ones that u can use to doimportant stuff), or where to type them...

I had the same problem with the Mandrake CD ISO images I downloaded (three times). No dice; it just refused to install properly complaining about errors installing packages.

This was on three completely different PCs, one a Celeron, one AMD-based and the other a P4. Same problem on all three machines, so it''s not the hardware.

Way to go, Mandrake.

--
Sean Timarco Baggaley
Sean Timarco Baggaley (Est. 1971.)Warning: May contain bollocks.
Advertisement
in their defence:

they have alot less bugs than M$ window$(had a slow point and i had 2 turn it off, but never crashed)
easiest to load out of all of the main linux distros.
and most importantly:

It is easyier to personalise and can be personalised more...(compared to m$)

Checking the cd: simply check it with windows or something like that... (this can of course only detect disk problems, not wrong data)

If you download an iso image you will always find a file called MD5SUM in the same directory. Download it to and use the program md5sum (every lin-distri should have it, for windows either use cygwin or google for a .exe - iirc etree.org has one) to check if the downloaded isos are valid.

[edited by - __tunjin__ on November 14, 2003 7:24:25 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement