🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

My bot's update cycle is taking too long... *sniff*

Started by
11 comments, last by liquidAir 20 years, 8 months ago
Why, oh why? Why me? Ok, well, when I run my bot in release mode against SampleBot, I don''t get the UpdateCycle took too long message, but when I run it against the other submitted contest bots, it keeps on generating the message. Why is this so? What could possibly make the Update cycle to take long to make the program to stop? And btw, when DustBot is one of the bots, the match doesn''t start. I good you bid evening. InitGames Software
Advertisement
thats not a fault of your bot, when i run my bot against hubot or mushu2 dont know exacly which one, my bot gets the timeout, maybe a bug of the arena??? otherwhise my bot dont get a timeout at all, even when he fights himself...

edit: btw when you run 'a app' in the backgrount that takes some cpu time one of the bots will be kicked out with a timeout, bcuz the arena cant recognize task-switches to another process by the system etc...

T2k

[edited by - T2k on October 27, 2003 7:03:39 AM]
Yep, my bot timed out against HuBot and Mushu2 as well. When I ran my bot against itself, there was no timeout. Haven't tried it out against your bot though...

I good you bid evening.

InitGames Software | InitGames Software forums

[edited by - liquidAir on October 27, 2003 7:27:12 AM]
I''m going to take a stab at it.. I think it''s because your two bots are built in Release mode and the other bots are built in Debug. Just run the arena in debug mode and don''t worry about going over the time limit...I need to find a better way to limit how much CPU processing is performed anyway.

Admin for GameDev.net.

The .dll that I submitted was built in release mode...

[edited by - Dcower on October 27, 2003 12:36:56 AM]
Err.. liquidIntell seems to run fine against Mushu2 on my comp.. but DustBot doesn''t (nor does Hexagon)..

-----

...and you think this is a bad thing...? *sigh*

-------

quote: Original post by Dcower

I thought it was built in debug because of its file size..

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Mushu
Err.. liquidIntell seems to run fine against Mushu2 on my comp.. but DustBot doesn't (nor does Hexagon)..

-----

...and you think this is a bad thing...? *sigh*

-------

wooot??? you cant fight my bot, damn it, try to run the arena in debugmode (my bot will timeout very fast under lower sysspecs than the test-comp-defined ones ) or give some more infos why my bot isnt running...
edit: maybe bcuz i have enabled pentium2+ optimizations *g*???

T2k

[edited by - T2k on October 28, 2003 12:51:45 PM]
quote: Original post by Khawk

My bot has the smallest file size .
quote: Original post by Khawk

My bot has the smallest file size .

...I know... how did you manage that anyway...?

quote: Original post by T2k
wooot??? you cant fight my bot, damn it, try to run the arena in debugmode (my bot will timeout very fast under lower sysspecs than the test-comp-defined ones ) or give some more infos why my bot isnt running...

Err..I did run it in Debug mode and it usually killed my updated bot... *sigh* It only times out when it sees my bot running amuck..

And the arena seems to crash a lot when I put DustBot into it...don''t know why..?

-------

You''re entitled to your own opinion, even though it''s wrong..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement