🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Spice up Forum (UT <-> Q3)

Started by
14 comments, last by Indeterminatus 24 years ago
For all who don''t know what these shorties mean: UT stands for UnrealTournamen, Q3 stands for Quake3:Arena. If you don''t know the games, you can stop reading now To put it in a nutshell: I want to spice up the Forum "Linux" a bit ...I was looking for some discussion stuff, and I think the topic I chose can be used for discussion(s) quite well What would you recommend a newbie to purchase? UT or Q3? I want to voice my opinion first (all Q3 players don''t feel offended! Tell me what you think I''m wrong at!) To my mind UT is superiour. Why? Because it features huge halls without losing performance. You might say that UT runs very slow on machines with older graphic cards. That''s not true since Epic released some patches fixing all these problems! I have no real good 3d accelerator, but UT runs with average 53 fps on my computer... I must admit I had some problems with getting OpenGL running, but Epic fixed that with their latest patch. Also, the "ngWorldStats" used in UT guarantees long-time motivation for every player. You can watch your rank in the world, look through some in-depth statistics about your games (even about the efficiency of the weapons you used!) As to the leveldesign: UT features a variety of distinctive levels, whereas in Q3 all levels look the same (due to very similar textures). Furthermore, UT offers the players some cool gamestyles, such as Domination, Assault and LastManStanding... (Don''t take the following for granted!) I aestimate there are more MODs available for UT than for Q3. (and they are all really VERY cool!) Yours, Indeterminatus --si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Indeterminatus--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
Advertisement
Even though I like UT, I''d like to spice it up a little also.

Q3A IZ BETTERZ.

Something like that.

------------------------
Captured Reality
quote: originally posted by nes8bit
Q3A IZ BETTERZ

No. No, seriously now...could you explain that a bit more in-depth? You make a statement and it''s not clear for me how you get the idea of thinking Q3A COULD BE A BIT BETTER THAN UT!

Well, looks like the topic isn''t that good I thought at first...hmm...maybe I''ll find other stuff to talk about

Yours,

Indeterminatus

--si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses--
heh...actually I like both games. I can''t really say why I like both, but I like just about ANY 3dfps.

------------------------
Captured Reality
Yes yes...All 3D FPS are equal... BUT SOME ARE MORE EQUAL THAN THE OTHERS!

(Originally used by George Orwell in "Animal Farm"...well, replace the "3D FPS" with "ANIMALS", and you'll get the original sentence )

Yours,

Indeterminatus

Edited by - Indeterminatus on July 3, 2000 5:33:41 PM
Hey! I''m indicated as a Zealot now! HAHAHA!

Yes yes, nes8bit, I know, you''re a Messiah...but one day I''ll be one too! My dream is to reach the state Avatar and keep it (I don''t want to ascend any further...)

BTW, the best fantasy book(s) ever written is/are "Lord Of The Rings" by J.R.R Tolkien!
I was spellbound by the book, and I bet you''ll be it too if you like fantasy stuff! Check it out, you won''t be disappointed!

Yours,

Indeterminatus

WOHO! I AM THE MESSIAH!

------------------------
Captured Reality
i personally like q3. ive only played the UT demo, but i think q3 looks better with its curves
the one low-grav map i played in UT really sucked.. it was hard to control yourself while in the air. q3''s space maps are a lot funner, especially with all the jump pads.

for me, on my 56k, UT multiplayer just plain sucked. it seemed a lot laggierand ''less fun'' than q3.

as far as the variety of maps goes, the q3f remake maps from halflife team fortress look really neat, other user made maps really show off as well. (cant name some specifics, i cant ever remember the map names!

i prefer good old deathmatch. the other players/bots in UT seemed somewhat small and harder to hit, like they are in halflife. i feel much more comfortable in quake3 deathmatch - nothing beats thrashing nightmare level bots on my favorite maps.
yes, i can beat nightmare on some maps

thats about it. remember, these are my opinions and probably not
good arguments as to why i like q3, but oh well

saai

p.s. i like klesk the most!
quote: Original post by Saai
for me, on my 56k, UT multiplayer just plain sucked. it seemed a lot laggierand ''less fun'' than q3.

Yeah. UT has terrible iNet support. Q3A is much less laggier. Although it doesn''t really matter to me.

------------------------
Captured Reality
quote: Original post by Indeterminatus
)

BTW, the best fantasy book(s) ever written is/are "Lord Of The Rings" by J.R.R Tolkien!
I was spellbound by the book, and I bet you'll be it too if you like fantasy stuff! Check it out, you won't be disappointed!

I'm re-reading that now. First read it when I was nine, but its still my favourite book. It's rare for any writer to come up with something so completely original as that work. I'd recommend it to anyone.

By the way, on the subject of games, I like the look of Q3, but it runs really slow on my machine as I'm a poor impoverished student, and I've only got 32 meg of RAM. So I guess I'd tell a newbie to make sure he/she has enough memory before buying either game.

I'm off to sulk in a corner now regarding my lack of memory... oh the pain!
http://www.geocities.com/ben32768

Edited by - benjamin bunny on July 4, 2000 4:11:40 AM

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement