Advertisement

why does slackware 9 suck?

Started by September 04, 2003 08:00 PM
10 comments, last by thedustbustr 21 years ago
I''ve felt negative vibes from a few people about slack-9; I searched old posts and it doesn''t seem there has been a previous discussion of this, so I ask now: Why does slack-9 suck? I use it with few problems (I did upgrade from 8.1, not a frech install) - but I don''t use it unless I''m doing internet development stuff where I need a server on localhost for testing (or, not very often). When I get cable internet in two days I expect my linux usage to skyrocket (internet accessible from linux = w00t). I''m thinking that maybe I should fresh install Debian-current-unstable. -- Dustin
debian-testing might be a better bet, unstable isn''t THAT far ahead of testing and testing needs more... testing. if its going to become stable by december...
Advertisement
Slack 9 sucks simply because Volkerdumbass knows what''s best, and what''s best is apparently not including about half the libraries that it should include. As a perfect example, I tried to run evolution (after getting the package for it), but couldn''t, because it was missing at least a dozen libraries that used to come with Slackware standard. And since Slack''s package system doesn''t have dependency checking, that makes things hard.

The Artist Formerly Known as CmndrM

http://chaos.webhop.org
I like slack. I don't think it sucks at all.

It's supposed to be a distribution where it is you who choose which thing to install or not, because you KNOW what you need and which dependencies it requires.

If you don't like to work that way, you can go with RedHat and you're done.

[edited by - owl on September 5, 2003 2:01:56 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I just say one thing:

apt-get install apache

Cheers,
Alex
Alexander Stockinger
Programmer
Don''t complain about the dependencies... use apt-get or download them by yourself. I hate having tons of crap that i don''t need.
Advertisement
Oh calm down. I don''t even use Slack anymore because I don''t like what it has become. All I''m saying is, if you want to use something like evolution, you have to look up TONS of dependencies.

That said, Slackware 9, out of the box, is not very well suited as a desktop distribution unless you have WAY too much time on your hands.

Not including the kernel source, yet including 9 IRC clients, 12 text editors and a whole bunch of other not-as-useful crap, is the absolute stupidest thing a distro can do. It is far more appaling that one of the oldest and most respected distros committed such a crime. At least it''s stable and it gives you control.
-Yo, I couldn''t think of anything else for my sig.TobiasA+, Linux+
Whatever. As always, this is all a matter of personal opinion, so we really have no reason to be debating this.

quote: Original post by Strife
Whatever. As always, this is all a matter of personal opinion, so we really have no reason to be debating this.

Well, there was first a question
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement