Advertisement

Disk Defragment in Linux RedHat 9.0

Started by August 25, 2003 10:43 AM
1 comment, last by pakloong82 21 years ago
hi there, first of all thanks you all again for answering my previous post regrading the ternimal thingy... now since ie solved the previous problem... something else come into my mind when i want to defrag my HDD..... it seems that in system tools i can find any tools to defrag the HDD..... i want to defrag it because i want to install another OS into the following HDD.... and the Installing Guide strongly suggest me to defrag the HDD before making another partition and install other OS.... so anyone can teach me how to defrag my HDD with Linux RedHat 9.0??? thanks you in advance again...
:)
I seriously doubt if there is any need to defragment a linux filesystem (ext2/3, reiserfs). Disk fragmentation simply is not such an issue with these file systems.
You can read more here. or Google the web for more info.

[edit] There is a defragmenter for linux. (I've never tried it.)
Another method seems to be: copy / to somewhere, do a 'rm -rf /' and copy / back to where it belongs.

SwSh website!

[edited by - SwSh on August 25, 2003 12:47:36 PM]
Advertisement
quote: Original post by SwSh
[edit] There is a defragmenter for linux. (I''ve never tried it.)

Unless I''m mistaken that is for extfs, which is very outdated. Ext2/3, reiserfs, and the other modern linux filesystems all have very good built in algorithyms for preventing problems with fragmentation. Unless you are running the filesystem to the point where you completely fill it up (and if you do that defraging won''t help much...) there shouldn''t be any reason to defragment.
Shoot Pixels Not People

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement