🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Defect Reports

Started by
150 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 11 months ago
quote: Original post by Khawk
No, I understood that one. I was referring to another post about how they can see the enemy through rocks.

wait, what did you mean by this then:

quote:
As for the los tree defect, that''s not really a defect either.

which defect-which-isn''t-a-defect were you refering to here?

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

------------------------------------------------------- A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary."something witty, blah, blah, blah" --That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)(author of DustBot)
Advertisement
I upgraded to a different set of nVidia drivers and everythings good now Now I just need to get a 'bot that does something other than hurl abuse at the opponent

It still crashes in the same way in VS's debugger though this happens both on my XP machine and a work machine (XP). How on earth can it work normally but not with a debugger attached? Edit: Yeah yeah, RTFM, i'd forgotten to set the working dir - everything is nice and happy now.

[edited by - OrangyTang on August 5, 2003 10:05:52 AM]
There's a bug I've only ever seen happen once where both bots end up with 0 health, but one of them gets the win... I figure one of them probably died slightly earlier than the other, but the Arena processed another cycle or something before ending...

[Edit: I've seen it a couple more times now... Another thing I've seen is a bot got to 0 health, but the game continued going until it got hit again...]

[edited by - HappyDude on August 5, 2003 6:51:05 PM]
this might be related to the discussion above about LOS but i''m not sure so i''ll post anyway. my apologies if it''s a known issue or known to be a feature of the arena.

below is a small bit of a log spew. the spew shows that the enemy bot "disappears" for no apparent reason as there are no objects in view other than the enemy and two walls. unless the small health decrease caused a delay in loss of vision, i''m kind of at a loss as to why this is happening.

just wondering if it''s a feature so that i can code for it.
T=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=041  T=taunt N=# of objects E=enemy obj index H=health  O=00 T=3 D= 20 A=-13 L=170  O=obj index T=obj type D=obj dist A=obj rel dir L=obj dir  O=01 T=5 D= 81 A=-15 L=  0  O=02 T=5 D= 81 A=-15 L=  0T=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=038  moving forward at an angle to the enemy bot  O=00 T=3 D= 20 A=-17 L=166  nothing between bot and the enemy bot  O=01 T=5 D= 81 A=-19 L=  0  wall  O=02 T=5 D= 81 A=-19 L=  0  wallT=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=038  moving forward at an angle to the enemy bot  O=00 T=3 D= 20 A=-15 L=168  nothing between bot and the enemy bot  O=01 T=5 D= 80 A=-15 L=  0  wall  O=02 T=5 D= 80 A=-15 L=  0  wallT=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=038  moving forward at an angle to the enemy bot  O=00 T=3 D= 19 A=-19 L=164  nothing between bot and the enemy bot  O=01 T=5 D= 79 A=-19 L=  0  wall  O=02 T=5 D= 79 A=-19 L=  0  wallT=FindHim* N= 02 E=-01 H=038  <= lost sight of enemy here - why?  O=00 T=5 D= 78 A=-15 L=  0  O=01 T=5 D= 78 A=-15 L=  0
Hey Kevin, we''d like you to come to the channel to discuss some issues. I was writing a lengthy post detailing these issues, but I accidently hit the backspace key which went back one page and wiped the message box clean when I went forward again. ;_;

So we figure we might as well just discuss it in the channel, when you get a chance.

- _dot_, Washu/Misato, kiwidog, Ron, Fruny, muer, cppman, and CodeDemon.
quote: Original post by CodeDemon
Hey Kevin, we'd like you to come to the channel to discuss some issues. I was writing a lengthy post detailing these issues, but I accidently hit the backspace key which went back one page and wiped the message box clean when I went forward again. ;_;

So we figure we might as well just discuss it in the channel, when you get a chance.

- _dot_, Washu/Misato, kiwidog, Ron, Fruny, muer, cppman, and CodeDemon.

I can't get into the chat from work.. just give me a bullet outline of the issues if you can, so I know what types of things concern you guys. Otherwise, I can try tonight in about 12 hours.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by flipper76108
this might be related to the discussion above about LOS but i''m not sure so i''ll post anyway. my apologies if it''s a known issue or known to be a feature of the arena.

below is a small bit of a log spew. the spew shows that the enemy bot "disappears" for no apparent reason as there are no objects in view other than the enemy and two walls. unless the small health decrease caused a delay in loss of vision, i''m kind of at a loss as to why this is happening.

just wondering if it''s a feature so that i can code for it.
T=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=041  T=taunt N=# of objects E=enemy obj index H=health  O=00 T=3 D= 20 A=-13 L=170  O=obj index T=obj type D=obj dist A=obj rel dir L=obj dir  O=01 T=5 D= 81 A=-15 L=  0  O=02 T=5 D= 81 A=-15 L=  0T=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=038  moving forward at an angle to the enemy bot  O=00 T=3 D= 20 A=-17 L=166  nothing between bot and the enemy bot  O=01 T=5 D= 81 A=-19 L=  0  wall  O=02 T=5 D= 81 A=-19 L=  0  wallT=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=038  moving forward at an angle to the enemy bot  O=00 T=3 D= 20 A=-15 L=168  nothing between bot and the enemy bot  O=01 T=5 D= 80 A=-15 L=  0  wall  O=02 T=5 D= 80 A=-15 L=  0  wallT=Enemy  * N= 03 E= 00 H=038  moving forward at an angle to the enemy bot  O=00 T=3 D= 19 A=-19 L=164  nothing between bot and the enemy bot  O=01 T=5 D= 79 A=-19 L=  0  wall  O=02 T=5 D= 79 A=-19 L=  0  wallT=FindHim* N= 02 E=-01 H=038  <= lost sight of enemy here - why?  O=00 T=5 D= 78 A=-15 L=  0  O=01 T=5 D= 78 A=-15 L=  0

I think it''s a problem related to the LOS, which should be fixed in the next update.. tonight or tomorrow.

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by HappyDude
There''s a bug I''ve only ever seen happen once where both bots end up with 0 health, but one of them gets the win... I figure one of them probably died slightly earlier than the other, but the Arena processed another cycle or something before ending...

[Edit: I''ve seen it a couple more times now... Another thing I''ve seen is a bot got to 0 health, but the game continued going until it got hit again...]

I''ll look into it. If both bots end up with 0 health, is the first player always the winner?

Admin for GameDev.net.

quote: Original post by Khawk
quote: Original post by HappyDude
There''s a bug I''ve only ever seen happen once where both bots end up with 0 health, but one of them gets the win... I figure one of them probably died slightly earlier than the other, but the Arena processed another cycle or something before ending...

[Edit: I''ve seen it a couple more times now... Another thing I''ve seen is a bot got to 0 health, but the game continued going until it got hit again...]

I''ll look into it. If both bots end up with 0 health, is the first player always the winner?

yes, that''s been my observation, the first player (the one listed on the left) wins, even if he was the first to have zero health.

A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary.

"something witty, blah, blah, blah"
--That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)

------------------------------------------------------- A headache, ancillary; an hourglass auxiliary."something witty, blah, blah, blah" --That One Witty Guy (remember? that one dude?)(author of DustBot)
I noticed that my bot can only see the North wall and the West wall :
Edit: Another bug.. It seems that when the ennemy bot is taking too long, it says that it is my bot who taked too long...
For exemple, I usually test with a Human controlled bot VS my bot and my bot never take too much time...
And when I tried to fight against another bot ( Devious bot )
on 7-8 match, 3 times I received a message saying that my bot took too long time :\

[edited by - Hedos on August 6, 2003 4:40:25 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement