🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

GameDev: Arena

Started by
538 comments, last by khawk 20 years, 5 months ago
Great contest! I''m in!

I don''t know if it was mentioned before, because i didn''t actually read all the 26 pages completly, but how about adding a Save/Load Replay function, so that official matches, like e.g. the final games, can be downloaded and replayed by anyone.

The replay files could be quite small, just saving the commands the Engine recieved, so that the bot''s dlls are not needed to watch a replay.

I think I am not the only one, who wants to see the final duels .

Good Luck to All!
Advertisement
GeForce 4 MX 440 64MB (latest Driver)
Pentium III CPU 600Mhz
256 Megs RAM.
Windoes 98se

Runs fine.
quote: Original post by lopatsch
Great contest! I''m in!

I don''t know if it was mentioned before, because i didn''t actually read all the 26 pages completly, but how about adding a Save/Load Replay function, so that official matches, like e.g. the final games, can be downloaded and replayed by anyone.

The replay files could be quite small, just saving the commands the Engine recieved, so that the bot''s dlls are not needed to watch a replay.

I think I am not the only one, who wants to see the final duels .

Good Luck to All!

Yes, Khawk has already confirmed this several times. There will be replay files released.
Didn''t worked at all on mine (Pentium IV 1 Ghz, 256Mb RAM, GeForce2, WindowsXP, err... DirectX at least 8).
I get a white screen and it get''s a while to load. clicking on the menus takes a long time to respond back and show the options. The about and the exit work fine, but the Go(F5) doesen''t work, even if I click F5. The second time i try to click on Go it crashes, but the first time nothing happens. At the bar beneath the program, it allways says ''ready''.
quote: Original post by Sailorstick
Me: sees size of Demo executable and cries
Any chance of having the final version a tad smaller? My 56k modem is wheezing at the thought of downloading that.

I tried to make a smaller zip by reducing most of the textures down to 64x64, but that only dropped it down to 7,138KB from the original of 9,002KB. The primary offender is samjai\lower.md3 with a size of 11,043KB. There must be something majorly wrong with that MD3 model if the lower section of the model needs to be over 11MB. Kevin, can a more suitable MD3 model be found that is download friendly? This may also be one reason, along with the huge texture sizes, that some people are having long load times when starting the demo. I know that my demo startup time dropped significantly after I merely reduced the size of the textures. With a more realistically sized MD3 model, the demo startup time is almost instantaneous on my system.

I found that you can almost drop in any MD3, but the textures will be wrong and animation will be at the wrong speed. I tried it with a nice Gundam robot, though while not correctly textured and animating at the incorrect speed, dropped the zip down to 2,633KB.
Steve 'Sly' Williams  Monkey Wrangler  Krome Studios
turbo game development with Borland compilers
quote: Original post by Sly
quote: Original post by Sailorstick
Me: sees size of Demo executable and cries
Any chance of having the final version a tad smaller? My 56k modem is wheezing at the thought of downloading that.

I tried to make a smaller zip by reducing most of the textures down to 64x64, but that only dropped it down to 7,138KB from the original of 9,002KB. The primary offender is samjai\lower.md3 with a size of 11,043KB. There must be something majorly wrong with that MD3 model if the lower section of the model needs to be over 11MB. Kevin, can a more suitable MD3 model be found that is download friendly? This may also be one reason, along with the huge texture sizes, that some people are having long load times when starting the demo. I know that my demo startup time dropped significantly after I merely reduced the size of the textures. With a more realistically sized MD3 model, the demo startup time is almost instantaneous on my system.

I found that you can almost drop in any MD3, but the textures will be wrong and animation will be at the wrong speed. I tried it with a nice Gundam robot, though while not correctly textured and animating at the incorrect speed, dropped the zip down to 2,633KB.

Yes, it''s being worked on. I wasn''t going to let the final version be that big. Just give me some time....

Admin for GameDev.net.

I have created a GameDev: Arena forum, so now I am closing this thread. Any questions, comments, etc.. go to http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/forum.asp?forum_id=50 under the "Special Interest" forum category.

Admin for GameDev.net.

doesn''t look closed to me .
why''d it open back up?
Yeah, I wonder that too. Also, Why''d it go non-sticky? this way, no-one else will hear about it
quote: Original post by googlyeyes
doesn''t look closed to me .
why''d it open back up?

Because I put it in this forum.

Admin for GameDev.net.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement