Advertisement

Your Unix and why you use it

Started by June 24, 2003 06:38 AM
69 comments, last by Flarelocke 21 years, 2 months ago
We all use different flavors of Unix, and we all have different reasons why we love them. (We also have different reasons why we dislike/abhor/hate other flavors of Unix!) So I''m curious as to what your flavor of Unix is and why you use it. I''ve been a Linux guy so far. Linux, of all the Unix implementations to date, both proprietary and libre, has resonated most with the general populace. Linux has embodied the independent spirit perhaps more so than any of the others because of its Bazaar development model and Linus'' going against the grain (the grain being the opinion of Andrew Tennenbaum, for example). Linux has been deployed in unusual devices and configurations more than any other Unix, probably in part because of the DIY attitude that pervades the community surrounding it. The funny thing is, it''s not really what I want. What I want is a stable, elegant, aesthetic, functional and efficient operating environment that lets me explore my various digital interests, from programming to writing to graphics. Linux is still extremely rough around the edges. Mac OS X, which I''ve used extensively, satisfies my computing needs but came in a less-than-accessible package, and also reduced some of my flexibility (the Linux folk myth is to change any part of the system which doesn''t suit your needs, which very few Linux users actually do). I''m at a fork in the road now, and want to hear what other people use, why and what they do with it. Thanks.
I use Linux Slackware since 1997. When I started using it I was completely clueless about it, I used the default kernel, no sound, no video support (just vga and vesa). Then with time, I started to understand what the kernel was, how to compile it, what the options in "make config" meant, what was the xwindows how to configure it. I met gcc (wich I didn't know) and learned how to code programs that are multiplataform.

In many ways, all linux has gave me were problems. But they were problems I liked to solve. I learned a lot with linux, not only about unix, but about computers, how they work and how to program for them, all things "Windows" try (and emphatize) to hide from the common user.

It opened my mind to knowledge I wouldn't be able to learn (or I wouldn't be directly in touch) with Microsoft stuff.

[edited by - xaxa on June 24, 2003 7:59:14 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
Advertisement
@xaxa: very true.
I use slackware since the 8.0 version came out. Before I've tried Redhat and co. but that was rather for experimental purposes. However, I've always worried about a total switch to linux. Things mostly worked, but not always the way they should. So I've screwed up many installs but I always tried again and again. I've tried zipslack too, wich is a nice way to have a fully functional slackware on a windows partition. (but a bit unhandy to boot) What kept me returning to linux? I wanted to fully understand how my computer works, how I can get the most out of it (but not the microsoft way), what a good operating system should look like, and I wanted to learn the skills of a good sysadmin, which I can use later. I want full control over my system, even if my mistakes result in a total loss of my whole hdd. That's the way I've learned linux. It's the hard way but I like it, I have the time and the interest to play with my computer the way I like it.
Some time ago, I felt "mature" enough: I deleted windows and installed Slack 9.0 and I don't regret it. Everything works just fine. I like the way I can fine-tune the system to suit my needs. And I don't think there are things I can't do in linux that I could do with windows. (instead, the opposite is true)
Another thing that I like is the feeling that I'm not playing with a colorful toy, but that my computer really IS a powerful machine I can use for many purposes and not only as a family photo album.
A handy advantage of unix based systems is that if you have configured something, it will stay configured and it will stay working. It won't "unconfigure" itself like it happened several times to me in windows.
One more thing that comes to my mind is the ease of recovery of a screwed-up system. Instead of reinstalling the system as a cure to almost every problem with windows starting up, I can really "cure" the system by fixing the init scripts, making backups, reinstalling packages on a different root,...
What about other unixes? When I get a new hdd, I'll be able to try some other variants like Gentoo or build an lfs. I'd like to try a *bsd too. Or maybe sun solaris, If I can get it at my uni. (but I'd prefer something uncommercial)
OK, enough of my story.

Click NOW!

[edited by - SwSh on June 24, 2003 8:38:56 AM]
I've been meaning to get a mini-itx premade (netbox, shuttle, minibox, etc) and run openbsd or netbsd on it, but now with the g5 out and g4s dropping in price, I am very tempted to pick one of those up.

I use debian, suse, and redhat at work.

And I have a SunOS login to my alma mater.

[edited by - flangazor on June 24, 2003 9:55:53 AM]
I use Debian Linux. The reason why i use Linux is because i find it fun... at first i started using Linux just to know how it is, for purely educational purposes. But then i started to like the way i had to figure out how to do/fix things and all, it''s just "my style".

Another thing i care about in an OS is the way it looks, and i think Gnome looks much better than Windows 2000 (my previsous OS). Actually, i think Gnome (version 2.2) is more beautiful than any Windows version. So that too made me choose Linux. I wish i could try MacOSX, but it''s too expensive for me.

And the reason why i chose Debian is because of its apt-get, which is simply great.

Victor.
c[_]~~
Hmm, this has me wondering why people use computers in general - in their homes, I mean. So far everybody seems to use Linux as a hobby; does any one of you use it for word processing, playing games and the kinds of things Windows users regularly do (IM), or do you also have Windows machines on which you engage in such activity? Are any of you running Linux exclusively?

I ran Linux exclusively for about 6 months, and then I switched to Windows 2000 (pretty much exclusively) because, in my own words, "I needed to be productive." I had college papers to write and none of the Linux word processors quite did it for me. I know all the options, from AbiWord to KWrite to OpenOffice.org, but none of them have me focusing squarely on my content like Word - especially Word v.X for OS X.

I''m not a serious gamer, so that''s never been much of a problem, but I do like to try the ocassional demo. Actually, I bought games, played them a few times and promptly "archived" them - my Metal Gear Solid, Midtown Madness 2 and quite a few other games sat largely unused while I fired up NBA Live 2000 and NBA Live 2001 almost daily under Windows. Under Linux (I had an ATI card, back when ATI didn''t have drivers for Linux at all so we all had to build DRI from CVS) 3d games were few and far between - ignoring Quake III Arena - and frequently tough to get running. Now I''ve decided I''ll just buy a console, making this a non-issue.

One area where Linux completely outshines Windows is in general development terms. The overall system architecture and the shell in particular lend themselves to programming. However... Linux IDEs suck, generally speaking, and I''m an IDE guy. I never tried SciTE or Eclipse, though, so my trials are incomplete.

In summary, what I want is a Unix core and a highly usable UI. IMHO, KDE and GNOME spend too much time trying to be like Windows - and falling short - to meet my requirements. The problem is that my tastes are changing; I''m no longer content to tinker with stuff and set it up myself for the marginal gains or "cool factor" that yields.

Suggestions? OS X is my first reflex, but Macs aren''t exactly cheap - though the G5 is priced rather well. My second reflex is to examine one of the BSDs.

At the same time, I still have residual tinkering impulses. At, change is a bitch.
Advertisement
The linux kids here will flay me alive, but I really have to suggest Windows for you, unless you have some overarching reason not to use it. There simply is no better polished or functional OS out there (OSX is a close second, or perhaps first, but you said you''re not up for that). Yes, this will reduce your flexibility. The problem with flexibility is that there are two ways for programmers to implement it: (1) Painstakingly designed user interfaces, and (2) a whole raft of user-editable scripts. I don''t think I have to specify which Windows uses, and which Linux uses.

As someone who actually does tweak their system, I find slackware indispensible. I want a distribution that''s there for me, but won''t get in my way. But I wouldn''t wish it on most people; it really is DIY. Because of this tweaking, I can and do use it for all those "non-tweaking" applications like games, word processing, etc. (I use Windows for non-linux games and Visual Studio development; you''re completely right about linux IDEs sucking).

Win2K, WinXP, or OSX. None of them will steer you wrong.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
OK, lets try this again. I had typed some stuff and for some reason Mozilla closed. I''m sure it was my fault >

Everyone tinkers with Linux? It seems like i''m always trying to fix it, not tinker with it. Recently my Linux box has been acting VERY strange. Mozilla and Galeon crash ALL the time, and Evolution decided to download all the messages on the server 5 times. Gaim crashes, ESD freezes, XMMS freezes, it''s all gone to hell. My four options are:

1. Forget Linux and use Windows 98 for the rest of my life

2. Spend the next few weeks trying to figure out WHAT is wrong and not get any productive work done

3. Reinstall Mandrake 9.1 from scratch

4. Try to stop the install/reinstall cycle and try something other than Mandrake

I think I''m going to choose 4. I''ve downloaded the 1st and 2nd CDs of Debian so far.

I use Linux mostly for web browsing and programming. It normally works OK for that, unless it goes nuts like it has now. I don''t really like to tinker with Linux at all, I just like to USE it. I like Gnome and stuff better than Windows, and so many features are just more CONVENIENT to use than Windows. I''m one of those guys who just want it to WORK, and not have to fiddle with it all the time. Hopefully some day I''ll find something that works for me.
I like the DARK layout!
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Linux IDEs suck, generally speaking, and I''m an IDE guy. I never tried SciTE or Eclipse, though, so my trials are incomplete.

I use Eclipse for my Java projects (on windows, i assume the linux version is almost identical) and i can honestly say its one of the finest IDEs around. Some areas (background compilation, debugger, intergrated CVS, auto completion) are superiour to Visual Studio, and its very customisable. It took me about a week to get used to it but i''m using it permenantly whenever i can now.

And its free so you don''t have much to loose by giving it a try
hmm do what i did

i bought a laptop (from dell) and i run windows xp on it. ive got a desktop with debian 3.0 stable on it.

i use windows for all my word processing, surfing the internet, and games. (b/c i like ms word and ms internet explorer over anything that debian offers)

i use debian to host servers (http, ftp, cvs, cs, samba) and do development, mostly for my classes here at ga tech.

i use vim to code in, im not sure if you can call it an IDE though heheh.

ive tried freebsd 4.8 a little while back, i wasnt too impressed. i think it was just b/c i was used to linux and didnt take the time to learn how to use it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement