Advertisement

FreeBSD and SSH

Started by June 11, 2003 03:48 PM
6 comments, last by Monder 21 years, 3 months ago
I''ve just installed FreeBSD 5.0 on a spare box. I was hoping to set it up as a small webserver that I''d access using ssh with my main box. However it does seem to want to accept any outside connections. When I run ssh root@127.0.0.1 from the BSD box it all works fine. But when I run ssh root@192.168.0.3 (BSD box''s ip) from the same BSD box it doesn''t work it just says connection refused. I also cannot connect to it from my main box. I thought it was something to do with the firewall rules but I''m not completely sure. Here are my firewall rules (obtained via ipfw list) 00100 allow ip from any to any 65535 deny ip from any to any I have the allow and the deny because I couldn''t work out how to remove the default deny(ipfw flush didn''t work) so I just added the allow because it will override the deny(I think). Anyone got any ideas what''s going wrong?
I believe that the stock FreeBSD install does not run sshd by default. Have you checked whether it is enabled?

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Advertisement
the default deny is on the lowest priority, so its not a problem (since theres a higher priority default alloy)

have you tried port scanning the machine?
Sneftel: I know sshd is install cause I can connect to it and login via ssh using the loopback address when on the BSD Box.

C-Junkie: I''ll go d/l nmap and take a look
i think the problem is that remote access for the root user is disabled by default... (btw. i would suggest not changing that...)
It was disabled, it''s now enabled (And you can''t ssh in to the box from the net so I should be alright).
Advertisement
Isn''t it disabled to ssh in from root by default, but you can ssh as a regular user and then su to root? I think that is the default, and it is safer because it requires 2 passwords to get to root. Since you probably shouldn''t need to login as root all the time, why change it?
The Tyr project is here.
OK I''ll put it back like that, it sounds like a better idea. As for the original problem it all seems to be working now. No idea why but it is. Thanks for the help guys.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement