🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Resources for linux programming..

Started by
2 comments, last by Niphty 24 years ago
Hey guys, can someone tell me books, web pages, etc.. on where to go to get a head start on programming TCP/IP server within linux? It''s going to be run as a game server with a client on Windows (and possibly linux..). I know how the whole TCP/IP deal works, just unsure of how to code for any of it. Anything with examples and explainations of said example would be great.. i get along a lot better with code than english Also, I''d prefer it to be in C language, or C++. Honestly, what would be better to write this in? The game will entail multiple databases, one for player character records, one for item records.. etc. The server will have to do a lot of database lookups and so forth. I''m not really sure how to go about programming this.. so anyone interested in helping is certainly welcome to Ideas, suggestions.. or some time working on it to get your name in the credits if you so choose No, I can''t pay ya now.. if I could, do you think I''d be learning it? hehe! J
Advertisement
A book call Practical UNIX programiming by Kay A Robbins and Steven Robbins. It is very easy to learn and come with all the standard C lib call example you can look up.... beside..if you are planning on working under UNIX base system..C will be the code you want to work with anyway... java could be another option..but real time game for java...right now..I don't the output will be too impressive.
For database...there is a couple free database you can work with..they all get C API...so...it shouldn't be a problem..personally..I will use msql or mysql...The majoy question is do you really want to use a real database system in the game? (may be for account info or backup) That may generate a lot of technical issue..... (too slow or too much connection) ...
if your game is more real time...it may be better off put all data type in the memory first then backup in a database...
I don't really know what kind of direction are you going to... so I can't really say much about that.. but the preforment will be the key you need to look at.
If you need example for the code...send me a ICQ we can talk
Good Luck
Alex

"Get your drink on..
Get your smoke on..
Get your code on..
Get your game on.."

Edited by - Alexbaby on June 8, 2000 6:05:36 AM
"Get your drink on.. Get your smoke on.. Get your code on.. Get your game on.."
UNIX Network Programming by the late Richard Stevens is THE UNIX network programmers book. That and his Advanced programming in UNIX (title of the last one note exact but close).

There are a number of books out there but for network programming his is the best. I know, nearly every developer here has a copy of it and our job is to do with network programming under UNIX
-----------------------------------------------All messages are of my own personal opinion and not meant to offend. But if they do - tough :)Neuro.
SAMS is in the process of publishing "Linux Network Applications Programming" which''ll cover just about everything to do with sockets...

(I was gonna co-author it, but due to illness, I couldn''t...)

Mark Collins (aka Nurgle)
me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement