🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Started by
4 comments, last by Nurgle 24 years ago
Well, seeing as none of you replied to my previous post about the book thing, I'll suggest some topics, and you can approve/disapprove of them... Graphics: SVGAlib fbcon Xlib SDL OpenGL Sound: /dev/audio OSS/Soft ioctl calls Input: Keyboard Mouse (GDM and X) Joysticks Networking: Sockets (UDP and TCP) Client/Server Simple clients Simple servers Performance considerations Artificial Intelligence: Simple AI Pathfinding Neural Networks (simple) Genetic AI Do these topics seem appropriate? Some feedback would be appreciated... N. Mark Collins (aka Nurgle) me@thisisnurgle.org.uk Edited by - Godfree^ on 6/5/00 9:48:52 AM

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

Advertisement
Well I''d like to see how to set up OpenGL with just X (as opposed to qt or other apis). I guess that''s synonymous with GLX, but I''d like a lot more info on this area myself. I''m just learning how to use qt, and I guess I''ll eventually get down to X by itself, but until then I just need a sample main.c(pp) file to get me going.

joeG
joeG
Oops... I forgot to mention...
it''s a games programming book, not a general Linux/X programming book...

sorry if I didn''t make that clear....

After careful deliberation, I have come to the conclusion that Nazrix is not cool. I am sorry for any inconvienience my previous mistake may have caused. We now return you to the original programming

fbcon == framebuffer?

I would also introduce IPX networking (in addition to UDP and TCP). Information on TCP/UDP is relatively easy to find, but IPX for Linux is relatively scarce information.

Neural nets and Genetic algorithms might also be a little much.
IPX is a dead protocol, as it is no longer the primary protocol of Netware (the main use for it). TCP/IP has more uses now, and besides, I don''t know IPX....

Mark Collins (aka Nurgle)
me@thisisnurgle.org.uk

IPX is *so* not a dead protocol. For better or for worse, there is consumer demand for use of IPX as a LAN protocol in gaming. If you don''t believe me, look at how Lokisoft got contiually asked why they didn''t ship IPX with Civ:CTP for Linux.

Furthermore there are technical advantages for IPX over a single datalink versus TCP/IP or UDP/IP. ex: lack of redundant checksums, smaller headers for connection oriented packets, lower cpu overhead (no fragmentation checking, lower encapsulation level), etc.

I can''t really argue your last point though. But really, just a page on setting up the IPX file descriptors would probably add a lot of value to your book.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement