Advertisement

linux from scratch?

Started by April 15, 2003 07:50 PM
7 comments, last by tuxx 21 years, 5 months ago
i was thinking of trying linux from scratch lately, and have started doing it. ive gotten up to the installation of fileutils, but i rebooted my computer to check if i needed to install the patch. i dont think youre supposed to reboot the computer until youre finished installing it. that probably explains why my computer has been so fucked up lately [lilo would print out tons of 99s, linux would go into kernel panic]. i was wondering if any of you have tried linux from scratch, successfully or unsuccessfully. once i fix my computer [reinstall linux, im thinking of slackware now], i think ill take another stab at it.
[email=dumass@poppet.com]dumass@poppet.com[/email]
Not yet, but will probably have more information when we start a project at work with LFS or something similar for a network device.

I''ll let you know if you want.

Interim.
Advertisement
I tried to install it once, but I was unsuccessful. I''m not sure what the reasons were, but it would not build the glib library, kept complaining about not being able to build from a static library(?) or something along those lines. It could also be because I didn''t have an actual linux partition to build from, I was building from a knoppix cd. I did get as far as compiling all static binaries, but for some reason when it came to the point of building the shared libraries on the actual partition it just would not build. I will try again tho next time I feel like switching distros.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
I''ve never understood why people would want LFS. Ever heard of slackware? Install it, change as much as you want. My slackware installation has pretty much zero resemblance to stock.

How appropriate. You fight like a cow.
Funny you should say that Sneftel, because originally on my laptop I had Slackware 8(its light and all and the laptop is old) and ended up dumping it to try LFS. Granted this is when Slack 9 came out, so I was gonna wipe it clean and reinstall anyway. So after my failure with LFS, I installed Slack 9, and I''m now in the process of building some of the packages to replace what came with Slack. Not sure if this will be effective or produce any speed ups, but I figured it was worth a try.
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Just download and install whatever to get a working install.

Then get and upgrade things you actually want to run. I recommend re-compiling all server with non-standard compiler oprtions and some non-standard version of GCC/GLibC to reduce the likelihood of some remote exploit actually working.
Advertisement
This is pretty interesting and fun. I''m going to try it. I think this is good also for those companies that don''t want to use linux for the security thingy.

I wish I wouldn''t have to sleep....
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
I''ve recently installed an LFS system. I''m now finishing installing libs/apps I need. The base system was pretty easy, and BLFS and the LFS Hints were useful.

good luck, and remember to follow the book and google groups any problems you have, you should be fine.
I have 2 LFS systems and i think its great, i tried learning linux before but got bored cos i didnt really know what was going on, building a distribution from scratch teaches you alot and now i wouldnt go back to windows or redhat for anything.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement