Advertisement

Can't add files into playlist in XMMS

Started by April 11, 2003 08:35 AM
9 comments, last by DerekSaw 21 years, 5 months ago
Anyone know how? I thought it is as simple as using WinAmp in Windows. Click File|Add, then a popup dialog asking for files to add, then select and click any files...... but then nothing happen, nothing show up on the play list. Using GNOME, RH8.0, SBLive... if that helps. Another problem is, I can''t mount into a NTFS partition. Whenever I do, they just says "file system not supported in the kernel".
"after many years of singularity, i'm still searching on the event horizon"
I have to admit, I haven''t toyed with RH8.0 that much since I''m busy with another project at work.

But you might need to compile NTFS support into the kernel to read NTFS permissions. Standard kernel recompile proceedure, just selet the NTFS FS support.

I never used XMMS, sorry. For desktops I stick with my Apple OSX.

Interim
Advertisement
this is probably overkill

Interim appears to be right in this case. Just note that trying to recompile the kernel has caused some people to go quite nuts.
[ Six Hour Game Contest | ( Thread | Blog | Wiki | 6hour Bio ) ][ Website | (Blog | Gallery ) ]
quote: Original post by DakeDesu
this is probably overkill

Yep... overkill for me.

I just one to add a local file into the playlist and play it, not creating streaming server.

Anyway thanks, really.
>Standard kernel recompile proceedure, just selet the NTFS FS support.

I know I need to do that, but how? I could say I''m very fresh at it.
Oh, it is explain in the front page:
http://www.xmms.org/
Advertisement
This should be correct,

To recompile your kernel with NTFS support, you first need to install the package called kernel-sources. Then, as root:

1. Backup /usr/src/linux/.config i.e. cp /usr/src/linux/.config ~/config.bkup

2. cd /usr/src/linux
3. make clean
4. cp ~/config.bkup /usr/src/linux/.config
5. make menuconfig
6. Then from the menu:
File Systems --> NTFS file system support (read only), and hit y
(you could also hit m, to compile as a module, and then you could run modprove ntfs to load it)
7. Press Esc twice, then say yes to save
8. make dep && make clean bzImage modules modules_install
9. cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot (<-- or where ever your boot partition is)

That should do it, but it is quite complicated, I wouldn''t bother trying it unless you are confident about doing it. You could always install Mandrake 9.1 instead, it is really nice

Hope it goes well! Good luck

Stu

DISCLAIMER: If this guide is in any way incorrect, I take no responsibilty for borking your box!

Isn''t there an RPM that installs the NTFS module for the default Red Hat kernel? If so, you wouldn''t need to rebuild your kernel, since someone has already done the work for you.

About XMMS, yes, see their website. Basically, XMMS silently fails to add a file when it can''t find a plug-in for its extension (so, if you have .extension.random it will never be able to load it, and if you have .extension but there''s no plug-in, it can''t load it until there is a plug-in).

quote:
You could always install Mandrake 9.1 instead, it is really nce.

The last I check from my local stores, they got 9.1 RC1 and RC2 only. Plus the whole same group of CDs are faulty (read error) - so they let me exchange to RH8, but not refundable.

I don't know about RPM for NTFS support. I would be happy to know if there is... time for googling again.

hmm... which program is to play .mpg/.dat or DVD?

hanks guys.

[edited by - DerekSaw on April 11, 2003 10:01:04 PM]
I personally use Ogle for DVD, but there is also Xine available, and I believe mplayer, although I have no experience with it.

Stu

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement