🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

56k Modem Connects at 28k

Started by
8 comments, last by Ronald Forbes 24 years, 1 month ago
Ok. I''ve got a USB U.S. Robotics 56K Win INT modem. I set it up and connect to Mindspring and it only connects at speeds ranging from 28.8k - 33.3k. Does anyone know why I am not acheiving 56k speeds? If you''ve ever had this problem and found a way to correct it please please please tell me. I''m starting to feel bad that I didn''t ask my mom for cable modem when she was in one of those really good moods. Download Complete. "YESSSSSS! The DirectX 7 SDK is finally MINE!! After 3 days of waiting, I have finally successfully downloaded this huge file. Now, I'll just fire up Winzip and... Illegal Fault. CURSES, MICROSOFT, CURSES!"
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
Advertisement
I don''t claim to be a networking expert, but I believe that there could be a few factors involved.

1) The noise of your phone line. Pick up your phone. I think that if you hear static that means you need a new phone line.

2) Mindspring could also be a problem. Perhaps they are not set up to use 56K (Although I have no idea why).

Please, someone correct me because I know something I said is wrong. Thanks.

-Icarus
-Andreas
As Icarus says, it could be your telephone line!
But it could also be your ISP which is only supporting 28.8 connections

Charlie McSow /Paradigm Game Design
www.rarebyte.de.st

CharlieGame DesignerRarebytehttp://www.rarebyte.com
get new drivers. i used to get on at 26400-29800 now i get on anywhere from 26400-37777 also mindspring is the the 2nd most used isp in the country next to aol. try to find small isps. i never regreted it
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
In rural areas in the UK, BT have a habit of doing this little thing called multiplexing, where 20-odd buildings share the equivalent of one phoneline, at the cost of line quality.
You don't notice normally, but it will slow down your modem.
BT will fix this for free if you complain.

I don't know if this is your problem, but it is relevant, so I thought I might mention it, just in case.

PS: The quality of your phone line may degrade your internet connection performance, even if you can't hear a problem using the line normally. (Just thought I'd correct Icarus on point one )

If your modem works fine in other buildings, contact your telecommunications provider.

George.

"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"

Edited by - GEo on May 18, 2000 9:28:30 AM
George. F"Who says computer games affect kids, imagine if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all sit around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music....uh oh!"
I''m pretty sure it''s not the telephone line. I never hear static unless I''m using out old portable. And the area I live in usually has pretty good phone lines. Will NetZero give me 56k connections? I''ve been wanting to know that for awhile because I''d much rather use $20 on sometyhing other than the Internet. If not, are there any free ISPs that do provide 56k connections? thanx

Download Complete. "YESSSSSS! The DirectX 7 SDK is finally MINE!! After 3 days of waiting, I have finally successfully downloaded this huge file. Now, I'll just fire up Winzip and... Illegal Fault. CURSES, MICROSOFT, CURSES!"
C:DOSC:DOSRUNRUN DOSRUN
NetZero has free 56k support. Technically, though, netzero is not free unless you crack it...

Online connection speeds for a 56k modem, usually fall somewhere between 30-50k bps. It is unlikely that you would be able to approach the rated modem connection speed, via a normal landline.
Due to variances in line quality, line saturation and exchange set-up it is possible for line quality to fall below normal levels, resulting in low connection speeds. A number of remedies are worth consideration.

You can ask your telephony provider to check & increase the gain, on the telephone line or you could install web accelerator software, which optimises your internet connection by increasing your internet connection cache and other system/Windows settings, including modem settings to speed everything up. Lastly you can upgrade your modem drivers/software to the latest spec, which would have a beneficial effect on modem/system performance.

Also check out http://www.regedit.com/ for registry tweaks which claim to increase internet networking performance.

Marty.
i used to have this problem when i got a my new computer. i just call to my internet company and they give another phone to make my connection since they have a type of line for each speed , i changed and now my connection is at 40000 bps

-the good thing of teamwork is if somenthing go wrong you can blame someone
i had a 56k before i get cable. at first it was connecting at 28.8, then i went to the company website and downloaded the updated driver for the modem. and somehow it connected at 48k after that

- pouya
--------------
Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: "Mankind". Basically, it's made up of two separate words - "mank" and "ind". What do these words mean? It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement