Advertisement

Scandinavian programmers

Started by May 16, 2000 06:30 AM
12 comments, last by wise_Guy 24 years, 4 months ago
Is it just me or are there a large number of Scandinavian programmers (demo coders especially come to mind)? And why are they all so damn good *hangs head in shame and cries* ? Why doesn''t the world hear of great new Australian programmers? How come Australia produces lame games like Dark Reign, KKND, South Park Rally, and Powerslide? Maybe it''s just an image that gets conjured up in my head but are all scandinavian''s C++ guru''s at age 9? from: a jealous aussie! ---disclaimer--- no rascist intentions whatsoever, so don''t sue me!
The guy who conjured up C++ was from Denmark. All you guys gave us Yanks was Mick Dundee.
Advertisement
yes, mick dundee.... what a bloke!

and does the definition Scandinavia stretch down across the sea to Denmark? i hope so for my argument!

wiseGuy

Its to do with the lack of development houses in the country. But don''t worry it won''t stay like that for long.
Electronic Arts are apparently building a studio in Brisbane or somewhere around that area. The academy of Interactive Entertainment (AIE) is a college for game development which is located in Canberra. Once the successful students which graduate finish their education. They are then placed into little companys which are finacially boosted by the college. Then once they have enough business experiance etc. and are financially stable, they are released into the real world.

-David

P.S And WirlWind don''t forget what else we gave you. Mel Gibson, Nicole Kidman , Russell Crowe, Silverchair and AC/DC.
Oh and the best place to have a holiday in the world.
" The fastest code is the code you don't call "
The demoscene, especially on C64 and Amiga has always been strong in northern europe and scandinavia, atleast when I was active 88-94.

Thanks to the demoscene, a lot of technically skilled programmers and graphic artist has evolved. And today most of them professionally work with development of some kind even if it''s not just game development.

It''s also quite intersting to see the final products. Often it''s possible to tell if the development team has their roots in the demoscene just by looking at the product, how detailed it is and how it''s designed.

The development houses in Sweden and Finland (UDS, Digital Illusions, Housemarque for example) do very much originates from the demoscene.
>> and does the definition Scandinavia stretch down across the sea to Denmark? <<

Yes, I believe Denmark is "included" in Scandinavia.

/. Muzzafarath
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Advertisement

Scandinavia does indeed include Denmark..
It really should not, but we are more similar to swedes (God help us) and the other Scandinavian countries than the rest of Europe.

I think I remember that Pascal is from Denmark too ? Am I right or am I full of bull....?

-- There IS something rotten in the state of Denmark --
-------------Ban KalvinB !
>> I think I remember that Pascal is from Denmark too ? <<

Do you mean the programming language Pascal or the person (Blaise Pascal)? The programming language was invented by Nicolaus Wirth in the 60's, and I think he was/is German or Austrian. I most cerainly know that he's not Danish anyway And Blaise Pascal was from France btw.

/. Muzzafarath

Edited by - Muzzafarath on May 16, 2000 11:53:15 AM
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall

Sorry.....

-- There IS something rotten in the state of Denmark --
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Scandinavia includes all the countries where the Vikings originated: Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland. Maybe even Iceland but I''m not completely sure about that one.

As long as we are on the subject of language invention, Simula was invented in Norway. Simula is one of many predecessors to C++.

- WitchLord

AngelCode.com - game development and more - Reference DB - game developer references
AngelScript - free scripting library - BMFont - free bitmap font generator - Tower - free puzzle game

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement