Advertisement

Books Suck

Started by May 14, 2000 11:27 PM
15 comments, last by vin 24 years, 4 months ago
Sorry, when I say "online", I mean "on disk". I can't believe I actually used that term. I see it a lot but it always gives me the wrong image. I'm just getting to use to using that term at work.

Anyways... I have a few books that contained a CD with a digital version of the entire book. This is very nice when trying to search for an idea and not just a keyword. (like you would using the index)

I have the entire "Inside Macintosh" series of books on CD. It uses a very nice engine that lets you make bookmarks, stickey notes, personal catalogs, and other cool things. It's very well laid out as well.

I also have some very good C++ books that has very good searching capabilities. It has samples of code with hyperlinks on each keyword and header file used in it. If the code contains "#include "math.h"" then I can click on the "math.h" part to get a list of all the components it contains. I can then click on one of those to get more detail.

I kinda hate Adobe Acrobat files though.

E:cb woof!

Edited by - dog135 on May 15, 2000 8:07:55 PM
I think that, for referance books, paperback is much better. Not only is it a lot easier carry around (to read), but it looks really cool when you''re reading a 350 page book on programming. It sounds a lot better than: "Hey, I just finished that 200K text last nite!" Know what I mean?

"Just remember, it''s not the fall that kills you, it''s the sudden stop."
"Just remember, it''s not the fall that kills you, it''s the sudden stop."
Advertisement
Actually, I''ve never bragged to anyone about finishing a large book. Maybe that''s why I''ve a more practical look on it.

I don''t mean to sound mean, but, bragging about reading a book?? Are you one of those guys who reads through unnessesarily difficult to read books just so you can say you''ve read it?

If you had grown up where reading even one book (no matter what size) in your spare time would make you the odd guy in class, perhaps you''d feel a bit of pride when you finish a twelve hundred page book now and then. Some guys have muscle, some have books
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.
Hmmmm, aparently no one has any idea hehehe

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
I was the odd guy in class. I was the only one out of 4 siblings that graduated from HS. I was the only person in school that spent time before school, durring lunch, all of one class, and after school on the computers. I'd read through every programming book I could get as fast as I could get them.

Read a lot as a kid. Read the Bible a couple times too. (New King James version)

CmndrM: I don't know of any libraries, but I know of some code samples and such...

Programmer's Heaven (good one!)
Java Tutorial
File FormatsGeometry (Good 2D & 3D math/code here)

Edited by - dog135 on May 16, 2000 4:50:34 PM
Advertisement
So now you''ve bragged too.
Hey, no worries. I just happen to like big books. And it feels good when I''ve read one, like I''ve learned a lot.

www.informit.com is a good place as well, even though some of the books are a bit dated.
A polar bear is a rectangular bear after a coordinate transform.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement