Advertisement

a newbie in need is a newbie indeed

Started by May 10, 2000 02:05 AM
3 comments, last by firoz 24 years, 4 months ago
hi all, my name''s firoz basha and i''m a newbie to game programming. I started doin this about a week ago, an i can program ok but i don''t know jack about graphics and loading images and stuff. Thing is ,they don''t teach that in any book i''ve read So far all i can do is get a Windows window and then directx it into a full-screen blank screen... What I want to do to start is just make a bitmap dump program, so, I was wondering if anyone could offer me help, point me to a good resource or send me something that could help me on my way. ANY help is reallly appreciated. - firoz
- ferret
Get a book like Windows Game Programming for Dummies or Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. Both of these are by the same author (Andre Lamothe) and are very good. I know that Game Programming for Dummies comes with its own game engine for loading/unloading bitmaps and using direct x.

- Daniel
my homepage
- DanielMy homepage
Advertisement
Having a bitmap appear on screen is a little more complicated than the run of the mill C/C++. First of all, you need to use some sort of special API such as DirectX or OpenGL. If you already know a language such as C/C++, then pick up either of the two books (or if you''re rich, get both. I suggest Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, though) and from them, you''ll be able to learn Win32, and put everything you learned in C++ to work by doing DirectX stuff. Hope that helped.

GO LEAFS GO!
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Well, using an API outside of regular windows.h is not actuall necasary (sp?). You could use generic GDI cals. It would be so slow as to hurt - but you could do it. Firoz, there are LOTS of books that will lay out the formats of different graphic schemes. Just check your library. If you want a shortcut though - Tricks has a ready to use library of straight C functions to do all that.
My sig used to be, "God was my co-pilot but we crashed in the mountains and I had to eat him..."
But folks whinned and I had to change it.
Whats with the lame subject?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement