🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Windows 2000 for games playing and development?

Started by
6 comments, last by zephyr 24 years, 2 months ago
I''ve been using Windows 2000 Professional at work for a couple of weeks, and it seems to be a very stable and powerful operating system. But I''ve been wondering if it''s a sensible platform for game development and game playing. I''ve given up getting Half-Life to work on it, for instance. I mean, I know it (2000) is supposed to work with Direct X, but there seems to be some flakeyness. Maybe it''s just a driver problem, and that will get sorted out with time. So, anyway, which is more sensible for game development - and game playing for that matter? Windows 2000 or Windows 98 (or Millennium)? Windows 98 has been wonderful over the last year or so for database programming and so forth. 2000 is even more stable and powerful, but has a lot more baggage to slow things down. Is there a trend towards 2000 or are people sticking with good old ''98? Sorry if this is an FAQ. I didn''t see anything posted recently on the topic. Just that I''m hopefully upgrading my home computer soon and wanted to get some opinions on which direction to go with the OS, for a web browsing / gaming / development machine.

zephyr

Advertisement
I''m currently using win2k , and I love it . The only problem is I cant install thief , apparently it checks the win versin before installing , then it quits if it is NT , other than that most of the games I have tried work just fine even most of the games in the Sprite lib contest.

..Trying to take me outta the Ghetto , but I'm still buck wild . So I'll hustle up wit em , knuckle up wit em hoody hooo..............
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
Hi all.

Why Thief (or any other game) needs to quit just because you are/are not using a particular operating system? It can just warn the user "this game may not operate correclty under this operating system" like ICQ does. By the way, ICQ gave me that warning when I try to use it in NT, I could not send/receive files (returning an error about the inability to open a comunications channel or something similar), but other than that it worked flawlessly.

Also, elsewhere someone said that he could not install an application in Windows 95 because it required Windows 98. Well, a friend of his installed it in Win 98, then copied the installed files in the windows 95 machine and it worked flawlessly.

Topgoro
We emphasize "gotoless" programming in this company, so constructs like "goto hell" are strictly forbidden.
Windows 2000 is ok, but it''s too bloated IMO.
Give me back the nice 120 meg install of NT4.0

Well

Windows 2000 was made for professionals offices, not for personal computers. sure it work fine foe ofiice type of work.

for a personal computer i would recomend you buy windows 98 SECOND EDITION. It work fine for me!!

It''s cooL. I suppose I haven''t tried to many games out on it yet, but sounds like most work. Check out http://www.ntcompatible.com.

It''s nice to be able to do weird coding (like color conversion to a surface in VRAM) without your system always crashing.

I''ve had great success running it, though I could probably use more than my 64MB of ram. On the other hand, a friend of mine has had a terrible time. He got it working on one computer, but all his other attempts failed.

- n8

nathany.com
I''m using Win2K for a while and I''ve been very pleased with it. I''ve almost forgotten what those crash things are... oh, well I guess those aren''t memories I need to keep

Seriously, though, its excellent for game development. I don''t think I''ve had a program yet that crashed my system. The only thing that seems to be able to bring it down are wierd network errors nice I''m connected to the network here at school. Even with that, however, I only end up rebooting about once a week and when I get home this summer and off the network I expect this rate to go down even farther... maybe once I month? That would be cool

Anyway, I highly recomment it (BTW, my system = Athlon 500Mhz, 128MB, etc. so I definitely have the horses to deal with any small bloat/slowdowns that may or may not exist )

Check out the GPI project today!
at last GDC Microsoft recommended that you test your existing games on Win2k because they were looking to a platform derived from win2k for homeusers in the future (not immediate, after win2k i would guess). If you don''t plan on coding that long, win98 will be fine.
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement