Advertisement

Laws and such

Started by May 06, 2000 03:59 AM
4 comments, last by zyzzy 24 years, 4 months ago
If I make a game can anyone make a game with the same name altough the game is totally different? Like if I make a game named Hugo which is a chess game and someone makes a game also called Hugo but is a 3D RTS game.
I would guess that the copyright law includes the name. Here in the US I have heard of instances where companies enforcing their copyrights only on the name and even though the "offender" was not "stealing" content nor remotely similar in product. It think its a gray area though.

However, if I go a make an RPG, with none of Id''s technology, and call it Quake I still imagine that they (Id) would not be pleased.

Sieggy
Advertisement
A quote from the FAQ of the US Copyright Office:
"Copyright does not protect names, titles, slogans, or short phrases. In some cases, these things may be protected as trademarks."

More info can be found here:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/copyright/

Henry
It all depends on how you''ve copyrighted it. a trademark (TM) will force you to prove that YOU came up with the name first to keep someone else from using it. All rights reserved (R) means that you''ve gone to a court and paid for the use of a name or whatever, and if anyone else uses it you can sue ''em. However, there is a lot of complicated exceptions and stuff in between.

If you want to copyright a technology you need a patent. If you want to copyright an idea you need to get an Intellectual Property right.

Alex
Atypical Interactive
www.atypical-interactive.com
------------------------------Changing the future of adventure gaming...Atypical Interactive
A really good way to proove that you came up with something is to photocopy the document or what ever and post it to yourself. If the envlope is sealed with the post mark on it. You can use it in court as proof.

As Mr Cup always says,
''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
As Mr Cup always says,''I pretend to work. They pretend to pay me.''
Actually there''s already a copyrighted game named Hugo, hehe, u hafta get this little troll through a wood or something

blah blah

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement