Advertisement

Modifying the XFree86 config file

Started by January 05, 2003 05:35 PM
6 comments, last by elendil67 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi there. I got a new video card for Christmas (PNY Geforce 4 Ti 4200 64MB AGP8X) and of course XFree86 won''t start. I know how to edit the XFree86 config file, but what do I change the drivers to? Thanks for your help. [  c o d e  m a t r i x  ]
When you go homeTell them of us, and say:For your tomorrow,We gave our today.
Did you already install NVIDIA''s drivers?
Problems with Windows? Reboot! - Problems with Linux? Be root!
Advertisement
X -configure

or

XFree86 -config

try first one first
ok...

I assume you want 3d accelaration, just like me
If not, select default vga drivers or something.

Get the nvidia drivers from
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=linux_display_archive
and read the readme -> http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86_40/1.0-4191/README

It is quite easy... install, make twice, modprobe, put the modprobe in autoboot, change XF86Config and ... finished =)

Best,
Frank
Let there be light,and there was code
I installed linux a while back, and then I decided, "Hey I''ve got this nice graphics card and I''m not even making use of it. I better install the NVidia drivers for linux." Download them, install the rpm, reboot, "Sorry, can''t start the graphical environment, you are stuck here on the text only console you chump" (yes, it really called me a chump!). From that point any attempts to change settings or run config programs didn''t help, and since I didn''t really want to seek a solution via lynx, I went back to windows.

I''ve used windows 2000 for a long time now, and between it and various distrobutions of linux, win2k runs better by far. In linux I either don''t have something basic I''d like (like java to run applets in my browser), or I have to download and install it, and 4 hours later when I''ve sent the machine into cardiac arrest, reinstall windows. Or my video card doesn''t work, or sound card doesn''t work, or can''t get on the internet, or the task bar mysteriously stops responding, or a window freezes and it won''t go away... You know, I really don''t have these problems on windows. It just runs, and stuff works. If I wanted to have all of those "features" I would have kept windows 95.
In the Linux world we usually say "RTFM". You shouldn''t have so many problems installing those drivers. There are about a million resources online that should help you with such things.

I find the power of linux on the desktop to be that I can set it up once and rarely then do I have problems once I get it working. I run Linux at home and at work all day long and rarely have any problems other than random programs failing because I''m running the "unstable" version of my distro. I have sound working and video and a nice flashy desktop using Gnome 2.

But of course, if you are looking for ease of use right out of the box maybe Windows is for you and maybe this particular forum isn''t.

As far as you devices not working on Linux, don''t blame linux, blame the device manufacturers. They are the ones who cause the problems because some of them don''t like to release their device specifications to the Linux developers so many device drivers are reverse engineered.

Out of the last two years of me being a professional software developer working on Linux, the only times I''ve ever locked up the Linux kernel was when I was doing PCI bus walks on an alpha hardware machine that had 256 PCI slots while trying to write a driver for a video card. Last time I had windows 2K blue screen on me was a week ago when I was trying to play a simple game.

Cheers,
RandomTask
Advertisement
Being a linux noob I agree with Russel. It can be a total pain in the butt trying to do the most simple things that you can with Windows. For example, for some reason on my Mandrake 9.0 system, I can not get the java 1.4.1 SDK installed. It unpacks the .bin, and I can go to the /usr/share/j2sdk1.4.1/bin and see all the nice java commands, but even after modifying my PATH to execute to there, it won''t run any 1.4.1 commands.

Another example is simply installing things. I can''t get Anjuta installed on this system because it''s missing gnome-vfs-config libraries. And it seems like everytime I hunt down one dependency, up crops another.

Or how about when you finally DO install something, trying to remember where it got installed to to execute it. For example, I forgot to include enlightenment in the base install, so I decided to compile it from source. Everything seemed to compile fine...but how do I activate it now? When I run init 5, there''s no option for enlightenment as my window manager (using GDM). How can I start it? Why doesn''t Linux give you an install option where it inserts the programs you install into the panel menus (rather than going through the terminal and manually changing to the directory, and typing the name of the shell or executable)? Am I missing something? Gentoo has made it ten times easier with the installation side, but it still has the problem of bringing up the programs once you do install it (what if the naem of the executable is slightly different than the name of the program for example).

I love linux for the freedom it provides me from the tyranny of M$, but the learning curve is ten times harder than M$. Worse, it requires 10 times the patience as well. I WILL learn to master these things in time, but as it stands, I do not recommend Linux to people who are not very much into computers, who do not hate M$ with a passion, or who have little patience. I figure it is better to give them a realistic taste of what it is to be a linux beginner than to let them suffer because of some linux myths.
The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war than we know about peace, more about killing than we know about living. We have grasped the mystery of the atom and rejected the Sermon on the Mount." - General Omar Bradley
I agree. I love Linux but will not recommend it to people without passion.
The sky is the limit !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement