🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Need someones Knowledge

Started by
7 comments, last by Repentance 24 years, 2 months ago
I''ve just been thinking of getting into development and i don''t really know where to start. Are there any good sites for getting any of the basic software necessary to start on such an endeavor? I would really appreciate the help from anyone who could provide it.
Advertisement
If you're starting to become a game developer, you have to choose an area in which you'll work. I assume you want to become the programmer! You can check many sites for programming in either C or C++ (the languages I suggest the most for programming in games) in the reference section, however, if you go to Informit, check in the free library and read Sams Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days (by Jesse Liberty), you'll learn C++ quite quickly. Once you're done with C++ and you're ready to the next step, I suggest purchasing two books that will help you tremendously: Windows 2000 Programming from the Ground up (Schildt) and Windows Game Programming for Dummies (LaMothe). Those two books will teach you Win32, which is windows programming. Once you're all done and snug with C++ as well as Win32, you'll use LaMothe's WGFD hardcore and learn DirectX. Once you're done with DirectX- you'll be able to use what you learned in your weeks of hard work to develop your own game! At least, that's the path that I took..

PS- I'm not sure where you can obtain the software for free unless you head over to just about ahy Warez site- they'll have Visual C++ 6.0, which is probably the most popular compiler (the software needed to turn your code into something special and useable!). To check out the reviews for the books that I mentioned, head over to Amazon for some awesome reviews. The books can be costly- but you only need to buy them once, and you'll be set for a very long time!
GO LEAFS GO!

Edited by - Fredric on 5/4/00 7:31:53 PM
3D Math- The type of mathematics that'll put hair on your chest!
Thank you very much. That helps quite a bit. Anyone else can still feel free to post.
Ok, it appears that you want to get into the programming aspect of game devolopment If you don''t know how to program yet, learn how to. Learn how to do everything with a specific language (try C++ and Fred''s suggestions), or quite a bit about it, at least. Then you can move on to programming games. Take a look at some of LaMothe''s books (assuming you are programming for windows).

If you code it, they will come...

Commander M
http://commanderm.8m.com
cmndrm@commanderm.8m.com
Another question to anyone willing to help. Do i need do download any software (i.e. C++)
There are two things that you will need if you want to build DirectX applications. These are a compiler, and the DirectX SDK (Software Development Kit).

I agree that MS Visual C++ is a great compiler, and if you buy LaMothe''s Tricks of the windows game programming gurus, this comes with the DX7 SDK and the MS Visual C++ "Learning Edition". The learning edition is basically fully functional, but you can''t distribute your programs. You can then decide whether you like MSVC++ and if you do then you can buy the Full version.
---------- JonHobson ----------

And while you''re at it, take a look at your options. There''s more to programming than DirectX.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
...and there is more to C++ than VC++ : DJGPP under Dos/Windows, gcc under about everything with a microchip, CodeWarrior 5.3 under Windows, Macintosh, Linux and NetYaroze (= PSX), Borland C++ under Dos, Windows and Linux, ...

I personnaly would advise gcc (100% free) or CW 5.3 Gold for student (rather cheap and includes many on-line books).

Good luck,
David
I have to agree with david. If you are looking to do anything outside of windows/dx, then i would definitely reccomend the CodeWarrior package.

It comes with thousands of pages of online manuals, and great programming utilities, and the best IDE on any compiler.

But if you plan to go the DX route, then you should prolly get VC++, as it is the best package for doing windows stuff.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement