Advertisement

how to install MSVC++ on Linux

Started by December 27, 2002 08:58 PM
14 comments, last by openGLdruid 21 years, 8 months ago
Hi! I''m thinking about switching to Linux because the lack of control in Windows is really starting to bug me. There are only a few things I use in Windows that I don''t know are supported in Linux: MSWord, MSVC++ and Internet Explorer. MSWord is just a really nice text editor that I''ve never really had a problem with. MSVC++ is a pretty nice development environment, although from a compiler standpoint they screwed up templates pretty bad. Still, I have about 25 different workspaces set up in MSVC++ that are pertinent to the game that I''m developing, so I''d kinda like to be able to work on those in MSVC++ still, but hopefully in the Linux environment. (I''ve got Windows ME right now and MAN is it awful- shudder) Is it possible to run MSVC++ on Linux? Also, could someone suggest some really nice development environments and text editors that work in Linux? Something that works kinda like MSVC++ would probably be the best for me. This is why I liked MSVC++: Very informative error messages, with a few exceptions. Well-designed interface. The text editor, compiler and debugger are all accessible together- a good development environment. Is there a web browser you guys could recommend? I don''t like netscape and IE is a virus programmer''s dream hahaha. If someone could point me to someplace with tutorials on how to start using linux, that would be great. I''m gonna need to know how to connect to the internet, get my printer working, get a media player and all that jazz. A tutorial on how to shrink windows and lay down a partition for it with something like Partition Magic would be good, too... I''m probably going to have to dual boot for a while. There may be game options I''ll need to test in Windows, and leaving 7 megabytes of the evil dormant on my machine may be the most reasonable option. Thoughts, anyone? Thanks in advance for any help, OpenGLdruid
I don''t think any microsoft product would work in any
non-microsoft operating system.

as for linux c++ compilers I think Dev c++ has a linux version
(don''t quote me on that)
Advertisement
dev c++ does have a linux version, but i think it is way out of date. there are things like kdevelop etc.

as for your partitioning, there is no reliable way to just shrink a partition. You should back up your data and just reformat and partition.

i doubt it is possible to use msvc on linux, but it is not correct that no microsoft products work in linux. Use wine to run windows apps. you can try msvc in that but im very doubtful it would work. although i guess it might if it can use a custom compiler instead of the default windows one. Kdevelop and others, i admit are in some ways not as good as msvc especially if you are used to it, but they are still pretty nice. give them a try.
MSWord: forget about it. Try OpenOffice instead.

MSVC: *ahem*. Nope. I''ve not yet found a decent replacement myself, though (that''s the main thing keeping me from doing major dev work under Linux). KDevelop is the best I''ve found, but there''s no Intellisense or any of the nice stuff like that.

IE: again, forget about it. I''d recommend Mozilla.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

quote: I don''t think any microsoft product would work in any
non-microsoft operating system.

ever hear of "wine"? it like a "plugin" (not an emulator) for linux which alows windows programs to interface with linux so that they can run under linux, but beware, it is nowhere near perfect.

quote: A tutorial on how to shrink windows and lay down a partition for it with something like Partition Magic would be good, too...

google around for "FIPS"
Ugh, I hate KDevelop. Every version I''ve tried has had major problems with it. But who knows? Maybe it almost works now.

Anjuta''s cool though.
Advertisement
does msvc run with wine?

EDIT:

[edited by - xaxa on December 27, 2002 12:52:52 AM]
[size="2"]I like the Walrus best.
When I installed mandrake 9.0 the installer made the linux partition for me using my free space on the main one.
Theres nothing as good as MSVC for Linux. Anjuta is the only thing I''ve used that begins to come close. I tried to start something (a MSVC clone) but it never took off.

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=123740
I like the DARK layout!
I personally think Anjuta is a great editor. It has some nifty features that other IDEs don''t have yet. Although, I am thinking of checking out KDevelop 3.0 when it officially comes out. I really don''t see why MSVC is so great. The only problems I have faced with Kdevelop and Anjuta are: Anjuta has saving problems in "group" mode, but "file" mode works find, and KDevelop - Sometimes the cursor would just dissapear.

SCREENSHOT: http://cryptik.dyns.cx/images/snap1.png

If you want to get WinWord working, I suggest you check out Crossover Office. I have office 2k running like a charm.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement