🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Everyone needs a Publisher!

Started by
2 comments, last by nes8bit 24 years, 2 months ago
Ok here''s a problem for most of us. You''ve just made the next generation in gaming! Ok, maybe not. You''ve got a completely finished game that just needs to be copied and sold. What''s a developer to do? Do you give away a years worth of work as freeware? Do you try to make big bucks off of shareware? Do you look for a publisher? I''d like to read your opinions/advice. Note: I''m not even near finished with my game so please don''t ask. ?
Advertisement
Big dilemma. My best advice is that word of mouth advertising is still the way to go.
Shareware has gotten rather dated, and not many big games use it anymore. Sub the shareware for a demo, but all that matter''s is size, keep the download demo/SW to about 50 MB that''s the norm.
Publisher''s ok, IF they take you on, but expect to make changes they deem fit for their target audience, and they will take a lump of your $. I wouldn''t waste my time with all those wannabe internet based publishers, because if they don''t have the resources to promote you, why would you want them?
If you have the resources, promote yourself, submit a demo to journalists. Many good reviews will raise an eyebrow, and if not sell your products, they''ll draw a publisher''s attention to cut you a better deal.

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining
That''s pretty much what I was going to do. What about a kid? What''s a kid to do?
Lot you can still do. You can run a website, though I''m not sure but your parents/ legal guardians have to handle the e-commerce bit. (Taking orders etc.)
You can still submit your demos to journalists. Don''t need to tell em you''re a kid really. You probably can''t get signed by a publisher till you''re 16. And if you have a good talent like that, I''m sure your parents/ relatives would support it and help you out. Just remember that supply should equal demand. So only order so many copies made as you have confirmed orders for.
You can do it

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy." - The Shining

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement