🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How much do game programmers make?

Started by
3 comments, last by Robo 24 years, 2 months ago
I am wondering how much game programmers get paid. Right now I am going to school. I''m gettin ready to either get a job in the gaming industry or get a job as a programmer making some software. I really don''t know what to do, and I hear you can get paid more programming somewhere else. I also don''t want to get get raped at a game development place, working insane hours, neglecting my family and then not getting paid enough. Can anyone give me some info on what''s really out there?? Thanks!!
Advertisement
Moving to lounge...
~ The opinions stated by this individual are the opinions of this individual and not the opinions of her company, any organization she might be part of, her parrot, or anyone else. ~
Consider becoming a spiffy Java consultant for a bank or a large company. If you have the ability to make people believe what your saying, you''ll make loads of money. The games industry is notorious for exploitation and low pay. Job security is virtually non-existant (project closed - everyone gets fired, no matter how good you are or what not).

Its really for the hardcore passionate gaming nuts who cant live a day without thinking about games...

I think if you''re only considering working in the games development industry for the wages then you aren''t going to get very far. Games companies want people who are really passionate about games, who don''t want to do anything else. If you aren''t that committed you won''t do well...

"Born of a Broken Man, but not a broken man."
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
I have no experience in the industry (still in high school) but It seems to me that If you start your own company you would probably make more money. You must come up with some realy realy good game to catch the peoples eye though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement