Advertisement

linux: AAAHHHHHHHHHH!

Started by December 06, 2002 05:50 AM
21 comments, last by Gameplayer 21 years, 9 months ago
Ive never used linux, and yes i have windows (''die'', yes i know). is there any linux that is good for somone like me who has never used it before? I know there is another thread on this, but im a complete linux beginer + only just started programming. My head speaks a language i dont understand.
You should listen to me, im 'Special'.Or so my physiatrist said.
PeanutLinux is supposed to be pretty good for newbies to the OS.

From the homepage
quote: We've aimed to please all user(s), expert(s) and newbie(s) alike who have already installed Windows 9x/Me/2k, Win XP 2002 to a full installation. Peanut Linux is only a 210 Mb download!, and of course Peanut Linux comes jam packed with some of the most newest LINUX software available today!

#Old Steve, he said to Xerox "Boys, turn your heads and cough"
And when no-one was looking he ripped their interfaces off#
Three Dead Trolls in a Baggie on the truth behind MacOS 1

SketchSoft | SketchNews

[edited by - doodle_sketch on December 6, 2002 7:15:46 AM]
www.aidanwalsh(.net)(.info)
Advertisement
Can you run windows and linux on one computer? if so how?

My head speaks a language i dont understand.
You need to make a seperate partion for Linux to live on, and allow Linux to install its bootloader which will allow you to choose between Linux and Windows when you start your computer. At the moment your harddrive is likely one big partion, so first backup any important data (in case something goes wrong) and get FIPS. Make a DOS boot disk, copy the FIPS.exe program onto it. Defragment your hardrive (Accessories->System Tools) and then reboot your computer with the disk and run FIPS to split your harddrive into as many partions as you want.
quote: Original post by Gameplayer
Ive never used linux, and yes i have windows ('die', yes i know).

That's what you'd get when you asked a zealot. If someone says this without smiling, then punch him in the face for our common good and walk away. It's a very un- (and even counter-)productive behaviour. As much as I think Windows isn't a Good Thing(TM), I still agree that there are reasons to use it (play games).

Your choice of distribution should depend on how willing you are to learn new stuff and how much time you can invest. You've never used Linux before, so you will run into problems. That's normal. But be honest, the first time you started a computer you were even more clueless and still managed. Now you aren't clueless, and chances are you know quite a lot that will help you over difficulties.

The "big" mainstream distros (SuSE, RedHat) focus on a wide range of user types from newcomers to professionals and hide much of the complexity, so those might be a good starting point. You have all sorts of graphic frontends and a pretty good automatic support for even exotic hardware. A minus there is that the companies will take money for upgrades beyond security fixes. But still, if you want a smooth transition, that's a good choice.

If you have some time to try and make it to the point where you've got a working network connection, mail client and webbrowser, at least have one look at debian. It's not nice in the beginning, but it offers a huge load of software packages and regular updates. Plus support via the maillist is great.

[edited by - Shadowdancer on December 6, 2002 9:43:20 AM]
I''ve found that Mandrake is the easiest to setup and use. It has lots of software, plus makes dual booting with Windows easy. If you get good enough, you could try Slackware(its a little harder to install, but is one of the most stable linux distributions out there).
Advertisement
I can see the tendency... Another Newbie hopelessly lost in distroland. Perhaps "ask what distribution is good for me" is not a good strategy. Get a distro, try to cope with it and only then ask questions
im sorry. windows is good, i just want to see what linux is like before i make up my mind which is better for me

(Edit) i hate people who say somthing is better than somthing else, even though they havent tried it. thets why i want to try it. (Edit)

[edited by - gameplayer on December 9, 2002 9:06:58 AM]
Make sure you know what you want to do with your computer before you succomb to the "I''ve installed Linux, that''s very nice but what do I do with it now ?" syndrome.

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | Free C++ IDE. ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Boost C++ Lib ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Thanks 4 the advice

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement