🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

C++Builder vs Visual C++

Started by
14 comments, last by JmarsKoder 24 years, 3 months ago
quote: Original post by SiCrane

Why would it need to convert Pascal to C++ code? They are just standard OMF object modules. Specify an entry point, and link it. No different than linking in a C/C++ object module. Really the only downside to using Pascal code in VCL is that the order of constructor calls in inheritence is slightly weird.

Agreed

Advertisement
I use MS VC++, and it works all right for me. And most people i know say it''s the best

"Born of a Broken Man, but not a broken man."
------------------------------"If a job's worth doing it's worth getting someone else to do it for you....."
Sorry if I sound stupid, but I''ve never really tried Builder. Does it have advantages over the DJGPP/RHIDE compiler I''m currently using for dos (other than the fact that it supports Windows?) Can I use OpenGL and GTk with it? Does it have anything for learning Windows programming? How does its development enviroment compare to VC++? (I won''t have access to VC++ when college is over, if Builder costs little or nothing, I might get it to use over the summer; I cannot afford VC++!)

Most of all, is it ANSI compliant? Can I write command-line programs (not that I would distribute command-line programs, just want to check standard library support)?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau
CodeWarrior.

Never used RHIDE so I can''t compare.
Never tried GTK in C++ Builder, OpenGL worked fine for me.
It feature drag-and-drop GUI development similar to VDK Builder, VB or Delphi (almost exactly the same as Delphi). The debugger and UI are comparable with Visual C++ 5. The UI in Visual C++ 6 is more advanced (unless your developing a windows UI.)
C++ Builder on educational discount costs $100 for Professional edition, and I think $30 for standard edition educational discount. ($300 and $100 for non academic versions).
C++ Builder is, IMO, more ANSI compliant than Visual C++.
It is possilbe to write console programs in C++ Builder.
Just checked out the prices on their web page. Guess I''ll stick with gcc and Linux for development, and re-compile for Windows using the Borland (or DJGPP, if it supports it) compiler, at least that much is free.

Rhide is basically a text editor with syntax highlighting and a menu for compiling. Doesn''t compare with VC++.

I wonder -- Is there anything comparable to VC++ in the Linux world?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away"--Henry David Thoreau

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement